Volume 19 | Martin Luther King Edition | January 16, 2018
Upcoming Events January 16th – January 29th
January 18, 7 pm 4th & 5th Band & Orchestra Concert, Gym
January 19, 8:30 am BFF Walk, Ride or Roll to School
January 21st 1 pm – 3 pm: Family Bowling, Bowl America, Falls Church
January 22nd, 7 pm Kindergarten Information Night, Washington & Lee High School
January 25th: Faculty, Teams, 5th Grade, and Kindergarten Panoramic Pictures
January 26th: Grade Preparation Day – No School
Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7 am – 7 pm: Livin’ the Pie Life, 2166 N. Glebe Rd, Arlington, VA. Preorders are accepted and must be submitted by Saturday January 27, 2018. Orders may be placed at: http://www.livinthepielife.com/ You may also purchase items available for sale on the 31st. Don’t forget to mention GLEBE!
Tuesday, February 20, 2018: Rocklands Barbeque, 3471 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA
Family Bowling Afternoon
Sunday, January 21st 1 – 3 pm
Is it cold outside yet? This event is FREE for all who want to come do something active, but inside, at Bowl America in Falls Church. Come join other Glebe families for a two hours of bowling fun.
The Glebe Elementary School PTA has spots for 120 bowlers for 2 hours, and will also cover the costs to rent those special shoes.
This is event is currently FILLED, but if you are interested, please email email@example.com to get your name on the waitlist!
February 22nd 7 pm
Want to be a GLOBAL HERO? The Multicultural Night committee is looking for volunteers to host foreign country tables. We have 20 countries represented, but we’d like more. Over 30 languages are spoken at Glebe, and we would love to have them all represented! The displays can be elaborate or simple, and you do not have to be from a foreign country to participate. Families have represented countries they have visited or lived in. For more information, contact Sarah Bogdanovich (firstname.lastname@example.org or 727-421-7321).
We also need volunteers to help with set-up, registration, and clean-up at Multicultural Night – please sign up here: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/?sheet_id=29
BFF focuses on helping our kids be their Body’s Best Friend Forever. Last Thursday, BFF volunteers handed out samples of Skinny Pop during lunch. Given the rousing response, we can tell you that Glebe kids love popcorn!
A few facts about popcorn:
- It’s a great snack and is safe for virtually every kid, regardless of allergies.
Popcorn is a whole grain, source of iron, has more protein than any other cereal grain, and has more fiber than pretzels or potato chips.
- Popcorn existed as early as 4700 B.C., making it one of the oldest forms of corn.
- In ancient times, people would make popcorn by heating sand in a fire and then stirring kernels of popcorn in the hot sand. Don’t try this at home!
- Americans eat around 17 billion quarts of popcorn every year. This amount would fill the Empire State Building 18 times.
Reed School Update
- Tara Blankinship, Wei Sun, Enjoli Goyal, Cornelia Lesh and Marybeth Sancho (BFF Snacking Series)
- Kristyn Socknat, Amy Cropper Erin Fuller, Alyson Fliakas, Cindy Scarcella, and Maureen McDonough. Special shout out to Benny (bingo caller extraordinaire). Special thanks to Jamie Borg and Ingrid Clarke-Marshall for calling games! (Bingo Night)
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please consider bringing in food for our FOOD NOURISHMENT initiative. Cart is in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? Our broken, used crayons are being collected and re-purposed. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- GOT PHOTOS? We need them! Please send high resolution photos to: email@example.com Please include the name of the activity and what grade(s) are represented.
Comment/Idea for the Gleagle News?
email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org