Volume 39 | In the Home Stretch! Edition | June 12, 2018
Upcoming Events June 12th – June 20th
June 13th: PTA Reimbursement Submissions Due
June 13th: Yearbook Distribution!
June 13th, 1:26pm: Early Release Dismissal
June 15th, 6pm: Soccer Fiesta, Glebe Field
June 18th, 7pm: 5th Grade Promotion, Washington & Lee High School
June 19th: 5th Grade Party, Glebe Lawn
June 20th: Ice Cream Party, Cafeteria
June 20th, 1:26pm: Early Release Dismissal
Yearbooks Are In!
If you ordered a Yearbook, it will be distributed to your child(ren). this Wednesday, June 13 Early Release Day. Sorry, there are no extras this year. So if you didn’t order one, unfortunately we cannot get additional copies.
Thanks to our 5th Grade Yearbook Committee and our Parent Helpers for doing a great job!
Please turn in PTA reimbursement requests by Wednesday, June 13th. If you have any questions, you can contact Treasurer, Enjoli Goyal
Reimbursement information and the form can be found here: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/reimbursement/
Order Your SchoolKitz Today!
As of Sunday, approximately 25% of the school have saved themselves the hassle of buying school supplies in August! What are you waiting for?? Save yourself the time of running from store to store to buy what your child(ren) need – have it waiting for them in the classroom on the first day of school! Buy your SchoolKidz today!
We need donations for Grades 2 & 4, although any donation is greatly appreciated!
To donate, just click on the website and add “donation” in the name field.
June 15th, 6:30 pm: Glebe Lawn
Please join us for the best food of the year and family filled night of soccer on the Glebe field! Volunteers needed – please sign up here: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/?sheet_id=41
Note: No rain date is scheduled for this event.
5th Grade Promotion
June 18th, 7pm Washington Lee High School
We are pleased to announce the Class of 2018 will be celebrating their promotion at 7pm at Washington Lee High School on Monday, June 18th. Thank you to Jamie Borg, Ingrid Clarke-Marshall, the teachers and staff at Glebe, and a special thank you to the parent, grandparents, family and friends who supported all of our students along their journey to reach this milestone in their lives.
Ice Cream Party
June 20th, Lunchtime
“I scream, You scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM!” To celebrate the last day of school, the PTA will be providing ice cream treats to all the students during their regularly scheduled lunch period. We will need a few volunteers during each lunch lunch period to assist with distribution, to assist you can sign up here: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/?sheet_id=42
PTA End of Year Business Meeting Outcomes
The PTA conducted their last business meeting of the year on Wednesday, June 6th with record attendance! The PTA is pleased to announce the new Executive Team for the 2018 – 2019 School Year:
Kristen Johnson: President
Lauren Barber: VP Activities & Programs
Missy Heinzer: VP Communications
Carolina DeFrancisco: VP External Affairs
Tara Blankinship: VP Ways and Means
Diana Paulraj: Treasurer
Lisa Gumbs: Corresponding Secretary
Enjoli Goyal: Recording Secretary
Additionally, the board presented and discussed the budget with the community at which time the budget for the 2018 – 2019 school year was passed. It was also voted and approved that the budget in a percentage graphical form by high level spending category will be posted to the PTA website by the end of September. To view further details of the meeting and the discussion that took place, you can view the meeting minutes on the PTA website at: https://www.glebepta.org/about-us/meetings/
Artworld II Summer Camp
June 25th – 29th 9 am – 12 pm, Glebe Elementary
Announcement from Mr. Gray:
Dear Glebe Staff, Parents, Students and Community –
It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that I will be resigning from my position as Health and Physical Education Teacher at Glebe Elementary School. My last day of teaching for Arlington Public Schools will be June 20, 2018.
After a long period of consideration, my family and I have decided that it would be in our best interest to relocate to an area that would better suit our needs. My wife (who is also an elementary school teacher) and I have both acquired teaching positions with Henrico County Public Schools. We will be moving to the Richmond area over the summer with Neo and Mace in tow.
I truly enjoyed my tenure at Glebe Elementary School. Teaching these students has given me great pleasure over the years and it has been amazing watching them grow and develop. The Glebe parents and community have been so warm, friendly and encouraging, and the administration has always been supportive in my every endeavor.
I am very sad to be leaving, there is no school like Glebe Elementary. I have no doubt that Mr. Herninko and the rest of the wonderful Glebe staff will do an excellent job in educating the students at Glebe Elementary and creating lifelong learners. Thank you so much for these last 10 years. It has been a privilege working alongside you, teaching your children, and high-fiving you at the door.
- Rising Kindergarten Tours: Thank you to Jamie Borg, Ingrid Clarke-Marshall, and the entire Kindergarten Team of Teachers and Assistants for making our rising kindergarteners feel welcome into our community. To all the families who came to visit, we look forward to having you join us in the fall!
- 5th Grade Yearbook Team: A very special thank you to Jen Thompson and Holly Radus for leading the year-long effort for this year’s yearbook! Additionally, this yearbook would not be the success it is without the support of so many parents who helped along the way: Jennifer Shoji, Mary Ellen Flannery, Christin Bushardt, Debby Cook, Linda Feehan, and Kim Trucano.
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please consider bringing in food for our FOOD NOURISHMENT initiative. Cart is in the Front Lobby!
- We will be collecting Toiletries as we expand our Food Nourishment initiative at Glebe. Please consider bringing in NEW shampoo, conditioner, hair products, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, razors (men and women), combs & brushes, feminine products, laundry detergent, body wash, etc. to assist those in need.
- Have used crayons? Our broken, used crayons are being collected and re-purposed. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
Comment/Idea for the Gleagle News?
email us at: email@example.com