Volume 38 | Two Week’s Left of School! Edition | June 5, 2018
Upcoming Events June 5th – June 18th
June 5th, 6:30 – 9:30pm: Adults ONLY Dining Night at Cheestique
June 6th, 1:26pm: Early Release Dismissal
June 6pm, 7pm: PTA Business Meeting, Glebe Library
June 7th: 5th Grade Reading SOL
June 11th, 2:00 – 2:30pm: Rising Kindergarten Tour, Glebe Lobby
June 13th: PTA Reimbursement Submissions Due
June 13th, 1:26pm: Early Release Dismissal
June 15th, 6pm: Soccer Fiesta, Glebe Field
June 18th, 7pm: 5th Grade Promotion, Washington & Lee High School
Adults Only Dining Night!
June 5th, 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Leave the kiddos at home and enjoy some adult conversation with a Dining Night just for Parents, Grandparents, Friends and Family of Glebe at Cheestique! Mention Glebe, and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the PTA!
June 6th 7pm, Glebe Library
We will be having our last business meeting of the year on June 6th. We will have a copy of our current budget available as we do at every business meeting. Please come learn details of our budget and where your money goes to support our school and community.
On the agenda for the June meeting:
- voting on the 2018-2019 budget: We will be working on the budget for next year in the coming weeks. If you have ideas for projects / committees/ purchases / events that support PTA missions please, please, please contact me. We are always open to new ideas and if we have volunteers to spearhead them we can usually figure out funding.
- voting in several positions on the executive board: We’re still looking for someone to volunteer for Vice President External Affairs. We currently have parents who have volunteered to become Treasurer, Vice President Ways and Means and Recording Secretary, but this is an election so if you have any interest in serving on the board contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I can give you more information. We have more information about each Executive Board position and their respective responsibilities as well as a list of many of our other volunteer positions our website (www.glebepta.org/about-us).
Please plan to join us, as there will be a lot of decision making taking place and we want to hear your opinions!!! As always, there will be babysitting for school aged children and Spanish translation.
Rising Kindergarten Tours
June 11th 2 – 2:30 pm
Do you have a rising kindergartener? If so, take this opportunity to have them meet the kindergarten teachers and Ms. Borg on Monday, June 11th! They be able to explore all the classrooms, parents can ask questions and they can meet fellow students! Please share with your neighbors and friends!
Not registered yet for kindergarten? No worries! Visit https://www.apsva.us/registering-your-child/ or visit the Glebe Main Office to get a copy of the registration packet. In addition to your packet you will need your child’s birth certificate, proof of residence, and child’s physical to complete registration. Questions, please call the Main Office at 703-228-6280.
Please turn in PTA reimbursement requests by Wednesday, June 13th. If you have any questions, you can contact Treasurer, Enjoli Goyal
Reimbursement information and the form can be found here: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/reimbursement/
Order Your SchoolKitz Today!
June 15th, 6:30 pm: Glebe Lawn
Please join us for the best food of the year and family filled night of soccer on the Glebe field! Volunteers needed – please sign up here: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/?sheet_id=41
Calling all Glebe Rockers!
June 9th, 9:00 pm
Your Glebe Auction winner of “Rock Star for a Night,” Kathy Hinger, will put her vocal talents on display with Left on Lincoln this Saturday (June 9th) at Rhodeside Grill (1836 Wilson Blvd). Please come out and support Kathy, as well as the three other Glebe parents who are members of Left on Lincoln (Alison Broadbent, Elizabeth Nowinski & Ken Broadbent) at LOL’s Annual “Summer Kick-off Show.” Music starts at 9:00 pm. Left on Lincoln covers classic Rock and Roll songs, along with Motown, Pop, and more recent hits! They were voted Best Band of Arlington 2017 by the Sun Gazette. See their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Left-on-Lincoln-123542561017169/) for videos and more info.
Note from the Principal
One of the most important jobs that the administration and staff do this time of year is the process of forming the classes for next year. The process begins in May when classroom teachers to group the student in their class. The grouping is based on a number of things to include reading and math levels, work habits and any special programs needs. After completing the groupings, the teachers review them and meet with our specialists (the counselor, reading specialist, G/T resource teacher, librarian, special education, ESOL/HILT, art, music, and physical education staff). The specialists can provide the classroom teachers with additional insights and perspectives they have observed that can help the classroom teacher find the best placement for each child. Then teachers on each grade-level team place students in tentative learning groups balancing the following criteria: gender, academic performance, social skills, group dynamics, role models and learning styles. Balancing the groups by these criteria provides the best environment for the whole student body. Then, we meet with the teams to discuss the groups. Over the summer, we will review the groups and make adjustments to accommodate any changes in enrollment before assigning teachers to classes.
As you can see, many factors have an impact on the assignment of a student to a particular class. The teachers and the administration work very hard to maintain the integrity of the grouping process by taking time to look carefully at each child’s placement needs. We are very confident that each and every one of our staff will meet the needs of our students and therefore, specific requests are not necessary. Accommodating specific requests can break down the integrity of the grouping process that numerous faculty members have worked on so diligently, a process that should result in your child being assigned to the best learning group and the best teacher for your child.
Thank you in advance for your support and we are looking forward to another successful school year kicking off September 4, 2018. As always feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss ideas that will make Glebe the best school it can be for your child.
Jamie Borg Ingrid Clarke
Principal Assistant Principal
- Field Day: Thank you to Field Day Coordinator Deb Ryan, and P.E. Teachers: Wayne Herninko, Stevie Gray, and Nicole Hurren for making Field Day a wonderful success and the kids favorite day of the year! A special thank you to the many parent volunteers: Becca Herndon, Beth Jackson, Heather Brown, Sarah Trosch, Greg Blaisdell, Lauren Barber, Laura Harrington, Mary Beth Sancho, Beth Gray, Laura LoGerfo, Shonna Waters, Gordon Mantler, Ann Seits, Heather Keppler, Colleen Yushchak, Kevin Fossett, Erika Hartingh, Michelle Reddan, Stan Berlin, Kendra Russell, Wei Sun, Eddie Meder, Thalia Lankin, Ainsley Stapleton, Meridyth Robinson, Lisa Donnelly, Becky Milton, Stephanie Reed, Sarah Gurgo, Lynisa Michalski, Alice Hogans, Melisa Beaty, Gretchen Krueger, Jacqueline Lotts, Nicole Perkins, Steven Hopkins, Lisa Preston Freeman, Jeff Vandall, Cynthia Brady, Missy Heinzer, Jill Yasin, Carla Warner, Carrie Pagliano, Lindsay Binstock, Allison Collins, Robin Crabb, Michelle O’Connor, Vincent Pickett, Colleen Holland, and Shareen Joshi. Also thank you to also those parents, grandparents and family members who came to cheer the kids on during the events!!
- SchoolKidz: Thank you to Ainsley Stapleton for once again working with Glebe Teachers and Staff to organize SchoolKitz for our community to order!
- 5th Grade Lock-in: Thank you to Jamie Borg, Ingrid Carke-Marshall, Kate Sydney, Poppy Hall, Emily Nolan, Sabina Beg, and Nicholas Fernandez for hosting the annual 5th Grade Lock-in. A special thank you to the many parent volunteers who helped make this event a success: Jen Thompson, Laura Harrington, Ivette Mestre, Sarah Bogdanovich, Colleen Holland, Debby Cook, Hanna Baker, Shireen Dodini, Liza Draper, Rob McDonald, Mary Ellen Flannery-Goodman, Marianna Hamilton, Sarah Goodell, Vicki Ferguson, Dabney Hegg, Kim Trucano, Marius & Lina Vismantas, Joanna & Adam Gwiezdzinsk, Jeff Yuschak, Kate Herzig, CJ McAndrew, Christin Bushardt, Latoria Dunbar, Maureen Mellett, Alexis Johnson, Laura Crouch, Linda Feehan, Kathryn Erskine, and Beckie Cassidy. And a very special thank you to the Custodial Staff!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please consider bringing in food for our FOOD NOURISHMENT initiative. Cart is in the Front Lobby!
- We will be collecting Toiletries as we expand our Food Nourishment initiative at Glebe. Please consider bringing in NEW shampoo, conditioner, hair products, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, razors (men and women), combs & brushes, feminine products, laundry detergent, body wash, etc. to assist those in need.
- Have used crayons? Our broken, used crayons are being collected and re-purposed. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
Comment/Idea for the Gleagle News?
email us at: email@example.com