Vol. 11 | Gratitude Edition | Nov. 24, 2020
Dec 6 — Virtual Enrichment Registration Begins, 8 PM
Dec 10 — Virtual Enrichment Registration Ends, midnight
Giving Opportunities 2020
The Glebe community has dug deep in 2020, supporting a number of efforts inside and outside of our school. During this time of need, the Glebe PTA is thankful for everyone’s generosity. There are many opportunities this giving season to extend your generosity once again, including an option right in our own school — Glebe Holiday Stars — and other options throughout Arlington. No matter how you choose to be thankful this season, know that your generosity is appreciated and meaningful.
Glebe Holiday Stars 2020
Each year, the Glebe Elementary School community comes together to purchase new holiday gifts for Glebe families in need. Especially this year, your help will make the holidays happier for our fellow Glebers and their siblings. Our Glebe Holiday Stars have moved online this year. If you would to shop for a child, there are four easy steps:
- SIGN UP. Join in by signing up here to select the requested gift(s) you would like to purchase for a child. We suggest a $25-40 budget for each gift.
- SHOP. Once you’ve signed up, we will email you a printable star with your shopping goals — including important information to help us send your gift to the right family. Let this star remind you who you are shopping for!
- WRAP. Wrap your gift and securely attach the printable star — with all the important identifying information — to your gift. Can’t print the star? No worries. Just attach a piece of paper or label with the same important identifying information.
- DELIVER. Simply drop your gift at the tent in the parking lot of Restoration Anglican Church during one of our delivery windows.
Donate to Glebe Giving (ongoing):
When schools closed in March and the Glebe Food Pantry was no longer available to families, neighborhood community organizations joined together to create Glebe Giving with a simple purpose: to provide food assistance to families in need with children attending Glebe. Since the school year began, more Glebe families have needed assistance while at the same time, donations to Glebe Giving have decreased. Donate to Glebe Giving using PayPal at GlebeGiving@gmail.com. 100% of these donations are used to purchase Safeway gift cards for Glebe families. Or purchase Safeway gift cards ($25 preferred) and drop them off with Beth Jackson (1523 North Taylor Street at email@example.com) or Ellen Fitzgibbons (1405 North Wakefield Street at firstname.lastname@example.org). Please provide your name and email address with your cards. The Glebe PTA endorses Glebe Giving.cIt does not organize or manage Glebe Community Giving or any similar effort.
Arlington CCPTA Book Drive for Winter Break:
Arlington CCPTA Fundraiser with Freshfarm:
Donations are due by December 4, 2020. More information is found here.
Winter Enrichment Plans Announced!
The Glebe Virtual Winter Enrichment Schedule is Here!
Now that we have the virtual enrichment routine down, consider keeping your kids engaged this coming winter by signing up for our next session of Glebe’s Virtual Enrichment Classes. Favorite classes are back along with classes to keep the kids moving. Our Glebe Virtual Winter Enrichment is a great opportunity to provide your kids with activities, exercise and interactions with friends each week. Virtual classes have been successful and we hope kids and parents will consider joining this winter. Our schedule is attached, and can also be found on Enrichment home page. Registration begins Sunday, December 6 at 8 PM and runs through Thursday, December 10 at midnight.
Also… We are in desperate need of volunteers to keep our Enrichment Committee running!! Several of our long time Enrichment Committee members will be graduating with their children at the end of this year and, without additional support, we risk not being able to prepare robust enrichment programs inhouse. Whether you want to help arrange the enrichment offerings, work on our scholarship program, or help on the back end as a registrar, WE NEED YOU. Reach out to our Enrichment Committee At GlebeEnrichment@gmail.com for more information.
Dec. 1 (5:15 p.m.)—School Board Virtual Work Session on the Special Education Update
The School Board will hold a Virtual Work Session at 5:15 p.m. on Tues., Dec. 1, that will include an update on Special Education. This Work Session will be followed at 7:30 p.m. by a School Board Public Hearing on elementary school boundaries. Work Sessions can be viewed live online.
Dec. 1 (7:30 PM) — School Board Public Hearing on Elementary School Boundaries
The School Board will hold a Public Hearing on Elementary School Boundaries at 7:30 p.m. on Tues., Dec. 1. Community members can view the Superintendent’s recommended elementary school boundaries for 2021-22. Details about how to sign up to speak at this Public Hearing, which will include a combination of in-person and call-in speaking opportunities, will be available on the School Board webpage by Wed., Nov. 18. This public hearing can be viewed live online and on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FIOS Channel 41. The School Board will take action on Dec. 3 on new elementary school boundaries for 2021-22.
Dec. 3 — School Board Virtual Meeting
The School Board will hold a virtual meeting at 7 p.m. on Dec. 3. This meeting will include an update on the 2020-21 school year from Superintendent Dr. Durán and the presentation of the APS-School Resource Officer Work Group. The School Board is scheduled to take action at this meeting on the Superintendent’s recommended elementary school boundaries for 2021-22, the proposed school year calendar for 2021-22, and the proposed Barcroft Elementary School calendar realignment. This can be viewed live online and on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FIOS Channel 41. Visit the School Board webpage to view the agenda and information on how to share your input.
Information in Spanish via WhatsApp
In addition to School Talk messages sent to all families, APS provides information in Spanish for families who prefer “WhatsApp en español.” To join this group, please send the name, school, and cell phone number of the person to be added to Dulce Carrillo, Coordinator of Community Engagement, APS School and Community Relations, at email@example.com. week’s newsletter?
Do You Have Information to Share?
Don’t be shy. If you have information to share about what’s going on at Glebe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to include information in the PTA newsletter is Sundays at 7 PM
- To the Glebe administration, staff, and teachers for an excellent first week of school!
- To the Glebe PTA Enrichment Committee for putting together an excellent virtual enrichment program!
- To Courtney Markle for updating, stocking, and organizing the book cabinet in front of Glebe!
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- While Glebe’s BoxTops for Education collection box is closed, families can submit receipts via the BoxTops app, available in the Apple Store and Google Play. You must create your own account and link it to Glebe (School ID#385133).
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
- Support Glebe Giving Today. Donate to Glebe Giving using PayPal at GlebeGiving@gmail.com.
Need to Reach Us?
- For general questions, email email@example.com – Isabel Simmerman
- For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Liz Newman
- For events/activities, email email@example.com – Amy LaFalce
- For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Jessica Burke
- Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!