Vol. 33|Rhyme & Cheese anyone? Edition | April 30, 2019
April 30 – Rhyme & Cheese Night – 7-8:30 pm – Glebe Multipurpose Room
May 1 – PTA Meeting – Glebe Library
May 1-3 Odyssey of the Mind Bake Sale – Glebe Lobby
May 4 – Glebe 5K/Fun Run – Woodlawn Park
May 6-10 – Teacher Appreciation Week
Rhyme & Cheese Night
Tuesday, April 30 – 7-8pm – Glebe Multipurpose Room
Rhyme & Cheese celebrates Glebe students’ own writing in the hopes that it will encourage a love and excitement for the craft by all who participate and come to listen. The student will share their own original writing on April 30th at 7 pm with the Glebe community in a relaxed atmosphere and hopefully learn to love (or at least get comfortable) speaking in front of others. The Listeners are just as critical as The Writers, so encourage your student to come support their Glebe-mates.
Wednesday, May 1 – 7 pm – Glebe Library
Come meet our new school board representative, Nancy Van Doren! She will introduce herself, provide an update to the school board budget, and answer any questions you may have. If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at an upcoming meeting, please send it to email@example.com ASAP.
We will have child care for all potty trained children during the meeting. Spanish translation will be provided.
Odyssey of the Mind Bake Sale
Wednesday, May 1 – Friday, May 3 – AFTERSCHOOL UNTIL 4 pm – Glebe Lobby (indoors) & Bike rack (outdoors)
Due to APS policy the Odyssey the Mind bake sale will occur in the afternoons ONLY!
3:41pm – 4:15pm
Please sign up to bake for us. We NEED donations!
Glebe 5K/Fun Run
Saturday, May 4 – Woodlawn Park
VOLUNTEER HERE: https://signup.com/go/dZhNFAz
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS RACE POWERED BY DC ROADRUNNERS
Glebe Day at Nats Park
May 18, 2019 – 7:15 pm
Click here for tickets: groupmatics.events/Glebe
‘Glebe Day at Nats Park’ t-shirt pickup details TBD – stay tuned!
DOROTHY HAMM MS PTSA MEETINGS
Mark your calendar for the upcoming PTSA general membership meeting:
Tuesday, May 28 at 7:00 pm at HB-Woodlawn (Library)
A PTSA – what is that, you may ask? A PTSA is a Parent, Teacher and Student Association. A
PTSA allows students a voice in their school and opportunities to help plan and organize PTSA-sponsored events under the guidance of parents. Students in a PTSA can contribute to their community in a positive way, and their involvement may help parents become more involved too!
Mark your Calendars!Friday, June 7th is Field Day!(rain date: Friday June 14th)Make sure to save the date!Field Day is an annual tradition at Glebe. Kids participate in outdoor games, water activities, and the PTA provides lunch for the studentsTo make Field Day a success, we need 70+ volunteers!Please consider signing up using the link below and help make a memorable day for ourGlebe students!Questions? Please contact…PE teacher – Mr H at email@example.comParent Coordinator – Deb Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Glebe Tutors for Glebe kids
News from External Affairs – Laura LoGerfo
- A draft IPP framework and an online community survey will be available from now until May 13 at www.apsva.us/prek-12-
- A drop-in open house focused on IPP options will be held from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. on April 30 at Kenmore Middle School.
- APS will continue to share information on the IPP via the weekly APS Ambassador updates, School Talk messages, and social media
PTA positions – Next year’s openings
If you have ever thought about how you could make Glebe a better place, this is the perfect opportunity for you to do so. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS FOR THE PTA Executive Board for the 2019-2020 school year. Our By-Laws state we need to have a President and Treasurer for us to have a PTA. We have volunteers for some positions, but we need more individuals from the community to step up and take the reins for next year.
The following Executive Board positions are open: President, VP Program and Activities, VP Ways and Means, Corresponding Secretary and Recording Secretary.
Laura LoGerfo,VP of External Affairs and Chai Puri, VP of Communications, have volunteered to remain in their positions next year. Current board members will assist new board members in learning the ins and outs of their new position.
Jessica Burke has volunteered for Treasurer, but it is an election so if you are interested in any position, please let me know ASAP. On the same note, we also need two volunteers for Enrichment Committee (great for those who work as they do all of their work over email)!
Please contact Kristen at email@example.com if you are interested in any position.
- to all those involved with Friday’s Spring Showdown, especially Missy Heinzer, for all her work to make the event happen, Lauren Barber, Tara Blankinship, Enjoli Goyal, Kristen Johnson, and Michelle Zlakowski for all their support. Also, a big thanks to Scott Smith (referee), Doug Hughes (announcer), and our Gleagle mascot for getting the crowd going! And last but not least, our teachers who played their hearts for Glebe: Ms. Binet, Ms. Carbo, Mr. El Jaouhari, Ms. Hall, Ms. Hurren, Mr. Herninko, Ms. Kizner, Mr. Moore, Ms. Morgan, Ms. Moustafa, Ms. Nolan, and Ms. Salas.
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Kristen Johnson
For newsletter/school communications, email email@example.com – Chai Puri
For events/activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Lauren Barber
For finance questions, email email@example.com –
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!