Vol. 2 | Game On! Edition | Sept. 10, 2019
September 11 – 7-8 pm – Back To School Night
September 11 – ETC (Educational Theatre Company) Q & A – 8 pm – Multipurpose Room
September 15-19 – Fall Enrichment Classes Registration
September 17 – 7-8 pm – PTA Meeting – Library
September 18 – ETC Lottery Deadline
September 19 – ETC Lottery Results Emailed
September 30 – Fall Enrichment Classes Begin
October 7-9 – Book Fair – Glebe Library
FREE money fundraisers – so simple.
Do you know that you can make multiple donations this year without spending any extra money? The PTA has partnered with various organizations to help the PTA earn money. There is no deadline to act but the sooner you do the more money we can earn for our kids! Tell your family, friends, and neighbors to register too! You don’t have to be a Glebe family to help earn money for our students!
Harris Teeter: Earn a percentage of each purchase of Harris Teeter brand items when you link your VIC card!
- Visit: https://www.harristeeter.com/together-in-education
- Login or create an account
- Add Glebe School code: 3964
Amazon Smile: Earn a percentage of each purchase when you order from Amazon Smile. It looks and works the same as Amazon! ***Amazon smile does not work with the Amazon app***
- Login to Amazon Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1246140
- Shop from there every time for Glebe to earn money
e-SCRIP Dining: Register your credit card and local businesses will donate a portion of your bill when you pay with that card.
- Login to: https://www.escrip.com
- Select Glebe Elementary School as your organization
- Enter your credit card information
- Dine, pay, and review for Glebe to earn money
Author, Anna James, is visiting Glebe on Tuesday, September 24th in the afternoon for grades 3-5. Order forms for her book went home in last week’s Friday Folder and is below. Order forms are due on Monday, September 16th for her new book, Pages & Co.: The Bookwanderers.
Back to School Night
Wednesday, September 11, 7 pm
Back-to-School Night provides Parents, Grandparents, and Guardians (not students) an opportunity to visit their children’s classrooms and hear presentations from teachers about the year to come at school. Each teacher will present two identical sessions, lasting approximately 25 minutes each. The first is 7 – 7:25 pm and the second is 7:30 – 7:55 pm, so parents have an opportunity to visit at least 2 classrooms. Specials teachers will also be available to meet with parents.
Please note: There is NO babysitting for students (SEE ABOVE FOR LOCAL BABYSITTING OPTIONS)
Parking & Traffic Note: This event is attended by atleast one member of nearly every Glebe family. Due to a limited parking capacity for teachers, staff, and parents, we ask that you please plan to walk to Glebe if you live close.
Box Tops for Education
Welcome back to school!
Over the summer, Box Tops for Education released an app (Apple | Android) which lets you scan your receipts to receive credit on purchased products (10 cents/product). If you need more info, go to the Box Tops for Education site.
After download, if you are not prompted for a school, go to the Settings area (click on the top on your login name) and scroll to the “School” section where you can select “GLEBE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL”. Glebe’s school ID is 385133.
During the transition from cardboard to pixels, please note that unexpired cardboard/paper Box Tops are still valid. Please keep sending them in as Glebe can “double-dip” – once from your receipt scan (if you use the app) and once from the cardboard/paper version.
Feel free to submit app reviews in the relevant stores and/or send any questions/comments directly to Becky Milton.
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have immediate need for someone to manage the Glebe Directory, Assist the Librarian with Literacy & Author’s visit and a 5th Grade Parent to coordinate the Yearbook. If you are interested, please to contact us at email@example.com.
Fall 2019 Enrichment Classes 2019
September 15-19 – Registration open
The detailed class catalog and registration will be available on the Glebe PTA website. Registration begins online Sunday, September 15th at 8PM and runs through 8PM on Thursday, September 19th. Classes start Monday, September 30th. When registering, please keep in mind that it is a commitment to pay for the class. Refunds after a class has started are determined strictly by the vendor. For questions about registration, contact our Glebe Enrichment Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class Schedule (Theatre Production dates provided separately)
M: Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 21, 28, Nov. 4, 18, 25, Dec. 2
T: Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, Nov. 12, 19, 26
W: Oct. 2, 9, 23, 30, Nov. 6, 13, 20, Dec. 4
Th: Oct. 3, 10, 17, 31, Nov. 7, 14, 21, Dec. 5
F: Oct. 4, 11, 18, Nov. 1, 8, 15, 22, Dec. 6
El catálogo con más detalles estará disponible en el sitio web del PTA (www.glebepta.org). La inscripción estará abierta desde el Domingo 15 de Septiembre pm hasta el Jueves 19 de Septiembre. Las clases comienzan el Lunes 30 de Septiembre. Cuando inscriba a su niño(a) tenga en cuenta que esto le compromete a pagar por la clase. El reembolso del dinero una vez que la clase ha comenzado depende del vendedor. Si tiene cualquier pregunta, idea o sugerencia para clases futuras, por favor contacte a: email@example.com.
Horario de clase (no teatro)
Lunes: 9/30, 10/7, 10/21, 10/28, 11/4, 11/18, 25, 12/2
Martes: 10/1, 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/12, 11/19, 11/26
Miércoles: 10/2, 10/9, 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/20, 12/4
Jueves: 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 12/5
Viernes: 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/22, 12/6Fall 2019 Catalog v2
Tuesday, September 17 – 7-8 pm – Glebe Library
Please join us for our first PTA meeting of the 2019-20 school year!
If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at an upcoming meeting, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. We will have child care for all potty trained children during the meeting and Spanish translation will be provided.
APS School Ambassador needed for 2019-20
Please see below for description of the role and if intersted, please email Jamie Borg at email@example.com
Role & Responsibilities
The Ambassador role was developed in 2017 to help APS families stay up to date on initiatives that are division-wide, for example, boundary adjustments, School Board policy changes, the 2018-24 Strategic Plan, and more. To learn more about the type of information involved, please visit https://www.apsva.us/engage/.
- Principals identify a parent volunteer each year to serve as an APS School Ambassador; some schools have two to three volunteers in this role, including one who speaks Spanish or another language
- At some schools, the Ambassador role is filled by the PTA President, VP, or Newsletter volunteer
- There is one in-person Ambassador meeting at Syphax Education Center in the fall, and a mid-year update (which may be delivered via online presentation)
- Ambassadors receive a weekly email update throughout the school year with information in English and Spanish about current APS initiatives, decision points and deadlines, and how people can learn more and participate
- Ambassadors are asked to share relevant information from the bilingual weekly email updates with families using the communications channels that work best for each school, including PTA website/newsletter, email, social media, handouts, texts/WhatsApp, or parent meetings
- Ambassadors are asked to share questions or input they hear from families that can help APS identify information needs and develop FAQs, handouts and other communication pieces
- to everyone who came out to the Welcome Back Coffee last week. It was great fun meeting you all!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projectsand events throughout the year.
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Isabel Simmerman
For newsletter/school communications, email email@example.com – Chai Puri
For events/activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Amy LaFalce
For finance questions, email email@example.com –
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!