Vol. 3 | Yep, it’s still summer! Edition | Sept. 17, 2019
Septe. 15-19 – Fall Enrichment Classes Registration
Sept. 16-20 – Glebe Nourishment Center Food and Toiletry Drive
Sept. 17 – 7-8 pm – PTA Meeting – Library
Sept. 18 – ETC Lottery Deadline
Sept. 19 – ETC Lottery Results Emailed
Sept. 23 – 6:30-7:30 pm – Odyssey of the Mind Info Meeting – LIBRARY – UPDATED LOCATION
Sept. 24 – 3:45-5 pm – Odyssey of the Mind “Try It” Workshop – A116 (Mrs. Huggler’s)
Sept. 27 – 3:45-5 pm – Odyssey of the Mind “Try It” Workshop – A116 (Mrs. Huggler’s )
Sept. 27 – NFL Spirit Day
Sept. 30 – Fall Enrichment Classes Begin
Sept. 30-October 4 – AFAC Food Drive
Oct. 1 – 7-8 pm – PTA Meeting – Library
Oct. 2 – ETC Rehearsal Begins
Oct. 4 – Odyssey of the Mind Participation Forms Due (submit online)
Oct. 7-9 – Book Fair – Glebe Library
Glebe Nourishment Center – Food and Toiletries Needed!
The Glebe Community Service Committee will host a FOOD & TOILETRY DRIVE all this week, September 16 – 20. Bring any of the items listed below to the Glebe Lobby and help us support our community. Together we can make a positive impact on families in our community who, at a crucial time in their lives, could use extra help and encouragement. Please consider purchasing an extra item during your regular grocery shopping and donating it to the pantry. Donations can be placed in the basket in the Glebe Lobby.
All items donated goes to Glebe families. At this time, the following items are most needed:
- Cooking oil
- Bags of white rice
- Bags of dried beans
- Maseca flour for tortilla
- Canned fruit or vegetables
- Dried pasta
- Jars of spaghetti sauce
- Peanut butter
- Jelly or jam
- Breakfast cereals
- Boxes of macaroni and cheese
- Gift cards to Safeway / Harris Teeter / Giant
Please note: All items should be new and sealed but any size welcome.
- Shampoo + Conditioner
- Body Wash
- Toothpaste + Toothbrush
- Comb + Hair Products
- Feminine Hygiene Products
Please note: All items should be new and sealed but any size welcome.
- Laundry Detergent
Fall 2019 Enrichment Classes
September 15-19 – Registration OPEN
The detailed class catalog and registration will be available on the Glebe PTA website. Registration begins online Sunday, September 15th at 8PM and runs through 8PM on Thursday, September 19th. Classes start Monday, September 30th. When registering, please keep in mind that it is a commitment to pay for the class. Refunds after a class has started are determined strictly by the vendor. For questions about registration, contact our Glebe Enrichment Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class Schedule (Theatre Production dates provided separately)
M: Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 21, 28, Nov. 4, 18, 25, Dec. 2
T: Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, Nov. 12, 19, 26
W: Oct. 2, 9, 23, 30, Nov. 6, 13, 20, Dec. 4
Th: Oct. 3, 10, 17, 31, Nov. 7, 14, 21, Dec. 5
F: Oct. 4, 11, 18, Nov. 1, 8, 15, 22, Dec. 6
El catálogo con más detalles estará disponible en el sitio web del PTA (www.glebepta.org). La inscripción estará abierta desde el Domingo 15 de Septiembre pm hasta el Jueves 19 de Septiembre. Las clases comienzan el Lunes 30 de Septiembre. Cuando inscriba a su niño(a) tenga en cuenta que esto le compromete a pagar por la clase. El reembolso del dinero una vez que la clase ha comenzado depende del vendedor. Si tiene cualquier pregunta, idea o sugerencia para clases futuras, por favor contacte a: email@example.com.
Horario de clase (no teatro)
Lunes: 9/30, 10/7, 10/21, 10/28, 11/4, 11/18, 25, 12/2
Martes: 10/1, 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/12, 11/19, 11/26
Miércoles: 10/2, 10/9, 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/20, 12/4
Jueves: 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 12/5
Viernes: 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/22, 12/6Fall 2019 Catalog v2
Tuesday, September 17 – 7-8 pm – Glebe Library
Please join us for our first PTA meeting of the 2019-20 school year!
If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at an upcoming meeting, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. We will have child care for all potty trained children during the meeting and Spanish translation will be provided.
ETC (Educational Theatre Company) Information
The Educational Theatre Company (ETC) brings their Main Stage Residency to Glebe Elementary School in the fall. Students create an original musical to be performed in December. In 2019, this project will be led by parent volunteer Tara Blankinship. Please feel free to contact her with any questions you have.
Important 2019 Dates:
September 18: Registration for the lottery to participate will close at 8 pm. Please fill out the form below any time before then. You should receive a confirmation email that we have received your lottery entry, after you complete the form.
September 19: Email notification to students selected in the lottery. Students not selected will receive an email with their waitlist position, in case a selected student is unable to participate.
October 2: After-school rehearsals begin. Students must be available Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:45 – 5:30 pm, November 23 and December 7 from 9:30 am – 12:00 pm, and evenings from 5:30 – 7:30 pm the week of the performance. All rehearsals take place at Glebe Elementary School.
December 12 and 13: Performances in the Glebe Multipurpose Room at 7 pm.
For more information, please click here.
Odyssey of the Mind Information
Odyssey of the Mind is a program that offers students the opportunity to improve their creativity, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. Here’s a quick video that you and your student can watch to orient you to what Odyssey of the Mind is.
At Glebe this fall, we are now in the process of creating our Odyssey teams. Students will then spend from October to March 2020 solving a creative problem, then present their solutions at a regional competition. The teams do ALL the work and come up with ALL the ideas, encouraged by parent coaches. The hallmark of an Odyssey solution is that it is student-driven.
Please contact Glebe’s Odyssey of the Mind coordinator, Christina Headrick (email), if you are interested or have questions. We must recruit more parent coaches and judges this year to keep our program going!
For more information, please click here.
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have immediate need for another Volunteer for the Gardens Committee, 5th Grade Parent to coordinate the Yearbook and Graduation and many of the Glebe Activities (MultiCultural Night, Bingo Night, STEM Fair etc). If you are interested, please to contact us at email@example.com.
APS School Ambassador needed for 2019-20
Please see below for description of the role and if interested, please email Jamie Borg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Role & Responsibilities
The Ambassador role was developed in 2017 to help APS families stay up to date on initiatives that are division-wide, for example, boundary adjustments, School Board policy changes, the 2018-24 Strategic Plan, and more. To learn more about the type of information involved, please visit https://www.apsva.us/engage/.
- Principals identify a parent volunteer each year to serve as an APS School Ambassador; some schools have two to three volunteers in this role, including one who speaks Spanish or another language
- At some schools, the Ambassador role is filled by the PTA President, VP, or Newsletter volunteer
- There is one in-person Ambassador meeting at Syphax Education Center in the fall, and a mid-year update (which may be delivered via online presentation)
- Ambassadors receive a weekly email update throughout the school year with information in English and Spanish about current APS initiatives, decision points and deadlines, and how people can learn more and participate
- Ambassadors are asked to share relevant information from the bilingual weekly email updates with families using the communications channels that work best for each school, including PTA website/newsletter, email, social media, handouts, texts/WhatsApp, or parent meetings
- Ambassadors are asked to share questions or input they hear from families that can help APS identify information needs and develop FAQs, handouts and other communication pieces.
FREE money fundraisers – so simple.
Do you know that you can make multiple donations this year without spending any extra money? The PTA has partnered with various organizations to help the PTA earn money. There is no deadline to act but the sooner you do the more money we can earn for our kids! Tell your family, friends, and neighbors to register too! You don’t have to be a Glebe family to help earn money for our students!
Harris Teeter: Earn a percentage of each purchase of Harris Teeter brand items when you link your VIC card!
- Visit: https://www.harristeeter.com/together-in-education
- Login or create an account
- Add Glebe School code: 3964
Amazon Smile: Earn a percentage of each purchase when you order from Amazon Smile. It looks and works the same as Amazon! ***Amazon smile does not work with the Amazon app***
- Login to Amazon Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1246140
- Shop from there every time for Glebe to earn money
e-SCRIP Dining: Register your credit card and local businesses will donate a portion of your bill when you pay with that card.
- Login to: https://www.escrip.com
- Select Glebe Elementary School as your organization
- Enter your credit card information
- Dine, pay, and review for Glebe to earn money
Box Tops for Education
Welcome back to school!
Over the summer, Box Tops for Education released an app (Apple | Android) which lets you scan your receipts to receive credit on purchased products (10 cents/product). If you need more info, go to the Box Tops for Education site.
After download, if you are not prompted for a school, go to the Settings area (click on the top on your login name) and scroll to the “School” section where you can select “GLEBE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL”. Glebe’s school ID is 385133.
During the transition from cardboard to pixels, please note that unexpired cardboard/paper Box Tops are still valid. Please keep sending them in as Glebe can “double-dip” – once from your receipt scan (if you use the app) and once from the cardboard/paper version.
Feel free to submit app reviews in the relevant stores and/or send any questions/comments directly to Becky Milton.
- to the Glebe After School Enrichment Committee, Jessica Burke, Christina Caretti, Beth Feldpush, Jacqueline Lotts, Noor Osman, Lynda Ramirez-Blust, Michelle Zlakowski, for all your hard work over the summer and putting together such a great variety of classes!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email email@example.com – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org –
For events/activities, email email@example.com – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Chai Puri
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!