Volume 6 | Columbus Day Edition | October 10, 2017
Upcoming Events October 10th – October 23rd:
- October: Glebe Sweats Month!
- October 11th, 7 – 9 pm Career Center High School Seats, W&L Cafeteria
- October 12th, 7:00 pm: Rhyme & Cheese, Glebe Multi Purpose Room
- October 13th, Walk, Ride or Roll to School
- October 17th, 9:00 am: Building of Outdoor Lab Equipment
- October 18th, 7 – 9 pm Educational Center Instructional Focus, Education Center Rm 101 & 102
- October 19th: Class & Individual Picture Day
- October 20th, Walk, Ride or Roll to School
- October 20th, 6:30 pm: Fall Potluck & Movie, Glebe “Backyard”
- October 23rd, 7 – 9 pm: Middle School Information Night, W&L High School
Did you sweat today?
Glebe Garden Committee
Kids and adults are needed to join the volunteer effort to help beautify Glebe! On Sunday, October 15th from 9 am – 12 pm the Glebe Garden Committee will be doing a clean up of the grounds, followed by a day of planting on October 29th. Bring your gloves and a shovel!
Glebe has an amazing outdoor classroom that encourages hands-on learning about plants and habitats. We recently purchased a weather station, observation deck, sundial, collection table and magnifying station. and NEED HELP putting these together!! Please consider volunteering your time on Tuesday, October 17th at 9 am.
Fall Movie & Potluck
Our fabulous volunteers are getting ready for our annual Fall Movie and Potluck and we need volunteers. During the event, we eat dinner and our kids watch a movie (Moana) on the Glebe field. Volunteers help set up, bring food to share and clean up afterwards. Please consider volunteering to make this event fun for all. Click here to help: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/?sheet_id=14.
Your child(ren) are currently creating a beautiful piece of art for the Original Works program. We are looking for volunteers in November and December to help us organize the orders and disseminate the projects when they come in.
Thank you to all the parents who came out to our October PTA meeting. A big thanks to Tannia Talento for her report on the School Board and Lori West for her presentation on Gifted Services. Did you know you can read minutes taken from our meetings on our website? You can always be in the know even if you can’t make a meeting.
It’s directory time! I’m sure your kiddos are like mine and they love searching for their classmates. This year you’ll receive a downloadable PDF version of the directory and if you have ever misplaced yours this is a lifesaver! A huge thank you goes out to Paul Bolejack, Liz Guffey, Heather Jones and Sharon McKenna Gundrum for their hard work and attention to detail on this year’s publication. Please keep a look out for them in this week’s Friday Folder.
Please consider supporting the writers at this year’s first Rhyme and Cheese on Thursday, October 12th. Please consider helping out for our upcoming events – – we NEED volunteers! Check out our sign ups here: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/
We had a bunch of kids and parents walk, scoot or bike to school on National Walk to School Day! Our BFF Committee chairs Marybeth Sancho and Cornelia Lesh, brought their A-game with coffee for parents and a fun banner for the kids to write their name on to celebrate this health initiative! Thanks to Cornelia and Marybeth for a fabulous walk to school day! Visit our BFF page for more on our health initiatives.
Still not sure where you should be parking when you come to school for drop-off, pick-up or extended day? Need to give a family member directions on where to go? We have you covered! Visit our Location page for everything Glebe – including a map of the parking lots! And keep in mind, if it raining, give yourself an extra 10 minutes if you are driving for traffic back-up.
Last week, Girl Scouts and our community donated 193 boxes and 97 bags of hurricane relief. Once again, our community rose up to help those in need and I’m speechless at how generous our community is. Thank you to everyone who donated items and their time to positively impact the lives of others.
APS is seeking community input on resetting middle school boundaries: https: www.apsva.us/post/seeking-input-middle-school-boundaries/
Upcoming APS meetings and information:
- Career Center High School Seats, Wednesday October 11 from 7-9 pm, W&L Cafeteria, 1301 N. Stafford St. On June 29, 2017 the School Board vote on 1,300 high school seats approved adding 700-800+ seats through an addition to the Career Center.
- Education Center Instructional Focus, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, from 7-9 pm, Education Center, in rooms 101 & 102. On June 29, 2017 the School Board voted to renovate the Education Center Building to provide approximately 500 – 600 high school seats. A working group will propose two to three options for the instructional focus, including: Expansion of Washington-Lee by 600 seats; Open a new high school program with approximately 500 seats (options identified in ACI’s annual report, 2016)
In addition to attending the meetings, you can find more information on these and other projects by:
- Visiting the web page “Engage with APS” https://www.apsva.us/engage/which contains Information about all APS initiatives.
- Email email@example.com questions or concerns.
- Call 703-228-6310 with questions or concerns.
Comment/Idea for the Gleagle News?
email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org