Volume 7 | RHYME & CHEESE Edition | Oct. 16, 2018
Upcoming Events October 16th – October 29th
October 15-19: Bully Awareness Week
October 16th, 7-8 pm: Rhyme & Cheese Night
October 18th: Picture Day
October 19th, 3:45-5 pm: Odyssey of the Mind, Problem Solving Workshop – Glebe Library
October 19th, 5-8 pm: Fall Potluck & Movie – Glebe “Backyard”
October 23, 7-8 pm: Glebe Auction & Social Introductory Meeting – Glebe Library
October 25th, 1:26 pm: EARLY RELEASE
October 26th: NO SCHOOL (Parent-Teacher conferences)
October 28th, 3pm-close: Pupatella Dining Night – Pupatella Pizzeria
Hispanic Heritage Month 2018
Each year, Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America. These wonderful families represented Glebe at APS’ annual Hispanic Heritage celebration on Friday! These years theme was Harvesting Dreams For Our Children.
Thank you to Beronica Salas and all of our Hispanic families who came out and showed their Glebe spirit!
October 15-19: Bully Awareness Week
Each day, fight bullying by participating in these schoolwide special days!
Monday – Being Kind is No Sweat – wear sweatpants to school!
Tuesday – Throw Shade to Bullies – wear sunglasses to school!
Wednesday – Put A Cap on Bullying – wear your favorite hat to school!
Thursday – Glebe and Bullying Don’t Mix – wear mismatched socks to school!
Friday – Put Bullying to Bed – wear your pajamas to school!
Rhyme & Cheese Night
Tuesday, October 16th, 7-8 pm
Please show your support for the participants (listed below) and bring your family to Rhyme & Cheese Night on Tuesday, October 16 from 7 to 8pm in the Glebe multi-purpose room! If you signed your child up and do not see his/her name below, please email Julie Madison and/or Frances McLaughlin.
Rhyme & Cheese Night is all about providing a supportive environment to applaud the work of Glebe’s young writers! We hope to see you there!
Thursday, October 18
Class and Individual Pictures will be taken. Order forms in last week’s Friday folders!
Odyssey of the Mind Spontaneous Problem Solving Workshop
Friday, October 19th, 3:45-5: Glebe Library
Students in Grades 3 to 5, and parents considering coaching, are invited to try out on-the-spot “Spontaneous” Problems. Meet and dismiss from in the Library. More information regarding the program can be found here: https://www.glebepta.org/extras/odyssey-of-the-mind/
Fall Potluck & Movie Night
Friday, October 19th, 5:30-8:30 pm
Dinner will be served starting at 5:30pm and the movie will start at sunset (~6:30pm). The playground and fields will close when the movie starts for the safety and enjoyment of the movie.
This event will be held on the lawn behind the school. Pizza will be served along with dishes contributed by Glebe families. Please use the signup link below to volunteer to help with the event and /or bring food.
Glebe Auction & Social Introductory Meeting
Tuesday, October 23rd, 7-8 pm, Glebe Library
Everyone is encouraged to come out to learn more about auction planning and hear about volunteer opportunities. If you need more information, would like to discuss volunteering, or cannot come to the meeting, please email our Auction Chair, Liz Newman: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t miss your chance to see the Legwarmers!!!
Saturday, October 27th, 9 pm
Wanna relive the 80’s? Join fellow Glebers for a rockin’ blast to the past. Get those Madonna outfits ready, dust off your Jordache jeans and join us for a fun night. We have 14 tickets left for the It’s a Glebe 80’s party @ the Legwarmers Concert, which is scheduled for Saturday, October 27th at 9PM at the State Theater in Falls Church. Tickets are $100/person. If interested, email Erika Hartingh at email@example.com
Dining Night at Pupatella
Sunday, October 28th, 3pm – close
Take a break from cooking dinner and head over to Pupatella (5104 Wilson Blvd. Arlington VA) and mention Glebe Elementary when you order. The PTA gets a percentage of the proceeds for Glebe events and activities! Tell your friends too!
News from External Affairs
(1) The Advisory Council on Instruction (ACI) needs parents to join sub-committees focused on specific topics. No expertise necessary–just interest. There are committees on language arts, science, special education, arts, gifted services, etc. If you have an interest, they have a committee. Committees meet once a month and recommend policy changes to the Advisory Council who then can take those recommendations to the Arlington School Board. It’s a great way to learn how APS works and to meet like-minded parents who are invested in improving your children’s education. Join!
(2) The district has hired the Friday Institute at North Carolina State University to evaluate APS’ 1:1 technology program (for Glebe purposes: iPads to all 3rd through 5th graders). The evaluation will take just five months but includes focus groups, classroom observations, and surveys. If you have questions, they may find answers. If you have specific questions you want them to ask, email Laura.LoGerfo@gmail.com by October 25 who will share them with APS.
(3) Boundary issues abound. Check your inbox for upcoming meetings on how APS plans to re-design the boundaries for 11 elementary schools this year (not Glebe this time) and 14 additional elementary schools in 2020 (yes, Glebe).
- to all the Glebe families who helped raise money for Glebe at the District Taco dining night! Hope you enjoyed your dinner!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby! Questions? Ask Becky Milton firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? Your broken, used crayons can be collected and re-purposed. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email email@example.com – Kristen Johnson
For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Chai Puri
For events/activities, email email@example.com – Lauren Barber
For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org –
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!