Volume 36 | Memorial Day Edition | May 22, 2018
Upcoming Events May 22nd – June 4th
May 22nd, 7 pm: 4th & 5th Grade Spring Concert, Washington & Lee High School
May 23rd: 3rd Grade Math SOL
May 23rd: Dining Night: District Taco
May 24th: 4th Grade Reading SOL
May 25th, 8:30 am: Walk, Ride or Roll to School
May 28th: Memorial Day – – NO SCHOOL
May 30th: 5th Grade Math SOL
May 31st: 4th Grade Math SOL
May 31st: 5th Grade Evening Event
June 1st, 8:30 am: Walk, Ride or Roll to School
June 1st: Field Day!
Glebe Dining Night
May 23rd, 5 pm
With games and after school activities, who has time for dinner? Well on May 23rd, you don’t need to worry! Go to District Taco after 5pm and mention Glebe, and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the PTA.
June 1st, 8:50 am – 2:00 pm
The “dress code” for the day is shorts, t-shirts, and footwear that is appropriate for sports activities–NO sandals, crocs, flip-flops or hard-soled shoes, please. If possible, children should wear a shirt that helps to identify their team color. Water events are also included in field day (passing a wet sponge overhead, things like that), so we suggest sending your children with a bathing suit on (boys) or under their clothes (girls).
Remember to send your child in with:
- bathing suit
- sunscreen applied
- a filled water bottle
- healthy snack
- bag to wet items in
Questions? Contact Field Day Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Order Your Field Day Spiritwear!
Are you Team BLUE or Team WHITE? or a Volunteer? Make sure you & your child(ren) are ready & have their spiritwear ready to go for Field Day! Visit our Glebe Spiritwear Store Today: https://www.glebepta.org/store/
Save the Date – Adults Only Dining Night!
June 5th, 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Leave the kiddos at home and enjoy some adult conversation with a Dining Night just for Parents, Grandparents, Friends and Family of Glebe at Cheestique! Mention Glebe, and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the PTA!
DRUM ROLL PLEASE….Our 2018 Glebe Auction & Social has raised a net of approximately $79,000.
Yes, you read it right! As I mentioned, we are nearing the end of the reconciliation process – – receiving checks & minor reimbursable expenses, and doing rechecks on all payments received. So the number isn’t final – but I can confidently announce that our net proceeds exceed $79,000. Please know the money you donate to our auction every year goes directly to support of our teachers, school and community.
What an amazing and generous community we have. I think that each & every person at Glebe can be thanked to make this happen, but I wanted to first extend my sincere thanks again to our auction chair, Liz Newman; Donations co-chairs, Cynthia Punsalan and Thalia Lankin; ; Sales chair, Jessica Burke; Family Donations, Elizabeth Roman Jones and Erika Hartingh; Staff Donations co-chairs, Courtney Johnson and Jessica Synder; Class Project co-chairs, Mary Beth Sancho and Michelle O’Connor; Social co-chairs, Christina Headrick and Alison Broadbent, and their teams for all of their time and effort. These women have gone above & beyond this year with their dedication to this entire process. From all the donations you saw & bid on, to the amazing decor and food and special touches of the evening, to the entire sales process, we can thank these parents for an overall amazing night.
Secondly, I’d like to thank our entire Glebe Community. You all have once again been extremely generous this year in so many different ways. A huge thanks to those who dedicated their time to class projects; to those who sought out or donated special business donations; to those who donated to the Kid & Teacher Raffles; to those who supported the Auction financially; and to those who helped ways we don’t even know. I join in with our Chairs to pass along our sincere thanks. YOU helped make it a success…and finally by attending, we all made it a really fun party in celebration of our school.
Lastly, THANK YOU to Jamie & Ingrid, and our entire Glebe Staff for supporting this evening and all that comes with it. We greatly appreciate your flexibility and willingness to allow us into your classrooms to create memorable projects and your overflowing generosity in all the teacher experiences you donate year after year . You’re the best!
Upcoming PTA Meeting
June 6th 7pm, Glebe Library
We will be having our last business meeting of the year on June 6th. We will have a copy of our current budget available as we do at every business meeting. Please come learn details of our budget and where your money goes to support our school and community.
On the agenda for the June meeting:
- voting on the 2018-2019 budget: We will be working on the budget for next year in the coming weeks. If you have ideas for projects / committees/ purchases / events that support PTA missions please, please, please contact me. We are always open to new ideas and if we have volunteers to spearhead them we can usually figure out funding.
- voting in several positions on the executive board: We are looking for someone to volunteer for Vice President External Affairs. We currently have parents who have volunteered to become Treasurer, Vice President Ways and Means and Recording Secretary, but this is an election so if you have any interest in serving on the board contact me (email@example.com) and I can give you more information. We have more information about each Executive Board position and their respective responsibilities as well as a list of many of our other volunteer positions our website (www.glebepta.org/about-us).
Please plan to join us, as there will be a lot of decision making taking place and we want to hear your opinions!!! As always, there will be babysitting for school aged children and Spanish translation.
The PTA will NOT accept any expenses for reimbursement after June 13th. If you have any questions, you can contact Treasurer, Enjoli Goyal
Reimbursement information and form can be found here: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/reimbursement/
Rising Kindergarten Tours
June 11th 2 – 2:30 pm
Do you have a rising kindergartener? If so, take this opportunity to have them meet the kindergarten teachers and Ms. Borg on Monday, June 11th! They be able to explore all the classrooms, parents can ask questions and they can meet fellow students! Please share with your neighbors and friends!
Not registered yet for kindergarten? No worries! Visit https://www.apsva.us/registering-your-child/ or visit the Glebe Main Office to get a copy of the registration packet. In addition to your packet you will need your child’s birth certificate, proof of residence, and child’s physical to complete registration. Questions, please call the Main Office at 703-228-6280.
- Toiletry Drive: Thank you to the Community Service Team – Julie Madison, Frances McLaughlin, Tara Blankinship, Grace Ann Bourne, Robbin Boyajy & Shelly Stoneman for coordinating this effort and expanding our Food Nourishment Initiative to incorporate these important items! A special thank you to all the Glebe Families who donated to help those in need in our own community.
- Dining Night: Thank you Laura Harrington for coordinating another successful Dining Night at District Taco and for planning an Adults only one in June at Cheestique!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please consider bringing in food for our FOOD NOURISHMENT initiative. Cart is in the Front Lobby!
- We will be collecting Toiletries as we expand our Food Nourishment initiative at Glebe. Please consider bringing in NEW shampoo, conditioner, hair products, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, razors (men and women), combs & brushes, feminine products, laundry detergent, body wash, etc. to assist those in need.
- Have used crayons? Our broken, used crayons are being collected and re-purposed. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
Comment/Idea for the Gleagle News?
email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org