Vol. 1 | Welcome Back To School! Edition | Sept. 3, 2019
Sept. 3 – FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Sept. 3 – Welcome Back Coffee – 9-10 am
Sept. 11 – Back To School Night – 7 pm
Sept. 17 – 7-8 pm – PTA Meeting – Library
Sept. 15-19 – Fall Enrichment Classes Registration
Sept. 30 – Fall Enrichment Classes Begin
Have a Kindergartener interested in playing soccer this fall? Arlington Soccer Association is forming kindergarten teams! Go to http://www.arlingtonsoccer.
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! For example, Picture Day Coordinator, Cookies For Teachers, Teacher Appreciation Week Coordinator, Room Parent Coordinator, etc. If you are interested, please to contact us at email@example.com.
PTA Welcome Back Coffee
Tuesday, September 3, 9 am – Glebe Reading Garden
Please join us after drop-off in the Reading Garden (or the Multi Purpose Room if it is weather is inclement) for coffee and light refreshments. Come meet new parents and catch up with old friends! Hope to see you there!
Back to School Night
Wednesday, September 11, 7 pm
Back-to-School Night provides Parents, Grandparents, and Guardians (not students) an opportunity to visit their children’s classrooms and hear presentations from teachers about the year to come at school. Each teacher will present two identical sessions, lasting approximately 25 minutes each. The first is 7 – 7:25 pm and the second is 7:30 – 7:55 pm, so parents have an opportunity to visit at least 2 classrooms. Specials teachers will also be available to meet with parents.
Please note: There is NO babysitting for students.
Parking & Traffic Note: This event is attended by atleast one member of nearly every Glebe family. Due to a limited parking capacity for teachers, staff, and parents, we ask that you please plan to walk to Glebe if you live close.
Fall Enrichment Classes 2019
September 15-19 – Registration open
The Fall Enrichment Classes will open for registration on Sunday, September 15th at 8 pm and run through Thursday, September 19th at 8 pm. The Course Catalog and registration information will be sent out to the community soon. Classes begin Monday, September 30th.
Tuesday, September 17 – 7-8 pm – Glebe Library
Please join us for our first PTA meeting of the 2019-20 school year!
If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at an upcoming meeting, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. We will have child care for all potty trained children during the meeting and Spanish translation will be provided.
APS School Ambassador needed for 2019-20
Please see below for description of the role and if intersted, please email Jamie Borg at email@example.com
Role & Responsibilities
The Ambassador role was developed in 2017 to help APS families stay up to date on initiatives that are division-wide, for example, boundary adjustments, School Board policy changes, the 2018-24 Strategic Plan, and more. To learn more about the type of information involved, please visit https://www.apsva.us/engage/.
- Principals identify a parent volunteer each year to serve as an APS School Ambassador; some schools have two to three volunteers in this role, including one who speaks Spanish or another language
- At some schools, the Ambassador role is filled by the PTA President, VP, or Newsletter volunteer
- There is one in-person Ambassador meeting at Syphax Education Center in the fall, and a mid-year update (which may be delivered via online presentation)
- Ambassadors receive a weekly email update throughout the school year with information in English and Spanish about current APS initiatives, decision points and deadlines, and how people can learn more and participate
- Ambassadors are asked to share relevant information from the bilingual weekly email updates with families using the communications channels that work best for each school, including PTA website/newsletter, email, social media, handouts, texts/WhatsApp, or parent meetings
- Ambassadors are asked to share questions or input they hear from families that can help APS identify information needs and develop FAQs, handouts and other communication pieces
- Ainsley Stapleton who once again, organized a seamless ordering process for the 2019-20 School Kidz and rallied the Glebe community to fulfill the school’s needs for supplies across ALL grades. We cannot thank you all enough!
- to Isabel Simmerman, Amy LaFalce, and Laura LoGerfo who set up breakfast for the teachers on their first day back last week, helped unpack School Kidz, and welcomed families to the Open House.
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projectsand events throughout the year.
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Isabel Simmerman
For newsletter/school communications, email email@example.com – Chai Puri
For events/activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Amy LaFalce
For finance questions, email email@example.com –
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!