Vol. 9 | It’s Halloween! Edition | Oct. 29, 2019
Oct. 31 – Halloween Parade
Nov. 5 – NO SCHOOL – Grade Preparation Day
Nov. 6 – PTA Meeting
Nov. 11 – NO SCHOOL – Veterans Day
Nov. 13 – Author Visit to Grades K-2
Nov. 14 – Rhyme and Cheese
Lost and Found
Now that Fall is here, our Lost & Found is filling up with jackets & sweaters. Marking your child’s items with Sharpie on the tags helps us find the owners of lost items. For those of you already missing brand new school clothes, here is a list of items currently in the Lost & Found.
Rhyme & Cheese Night Coming Up! Forms due Nov. 8!
Rhyme & Cheese celebrates Glebe students’ own writing in the hopes that it will encourage a love and excitement for the craft by all who participate and come to listen. The student will share their own original writing on Thursday, November 14th at 7 pm with the Glebe community in a relaxed atmosphere and hopefully learn to love (or at least get comfortable) speaking in front of others. The Listeners are just as critical as The Writers, so encourage your student to come support their Glebe-mates. Submissions are due Friday, November 8th and a lottery will be conducted to select 30 students. Multi-authored pieces are welcome so long as the number of authors does not exceed two. The submission form can be accessed here and will also be in the Friday Folder and should be turned in the Glebe Lobby.
APS Updates from our Glebe APS Ambassador
Online Information Session and Community Questionnaire on Elementary School Planning for 2021
In 2021, APS is projected to welcome more than 30,000 students, and will open a new elementary school and add high school seats. On Nov. 5 families can view an Online Information Session in English or Spanish that presents information and answers questions received to date from community members on the planning phase of the 2020 Elementary School Boundary Process; also, a questionnaire will open Nov. 5. Community members can review information at APS Engage and send questions via firstname.lastname@example.org or Twitter at #APSPlans2021.
Middle School Information Night for 2020-21 was last night Oct. 28. If you missed it, you can find information on registration, school options and transfers, application deadlines and procedures, school information sessions, available resources, and more visit www.apsva.us/school-options/
Your APS Ambassador
Please contact Glebe’s APS Ambassador, Grace Solares with questions about items in this update or to signal your interest in other District initiatives, news and events.
PTA Meeting November 6
The PTA will meet in the Glebe library on Wednesday, Nov. 6.
If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at an upcoming meeting, please send it to email@example.com ASAP. We will have child care for all potty trained children during the meeting and Spanish translation will be provided.
BFF Healthy Snack Showcase November 8
The BFF (Brains, Food & Fitness) team will have a table in the cafeteria on Friday, Nov. 8 to offer all students a healthy snack sample. We are looking for volunteers to help hand out snacks. You can sign up to help here and learn more about BFF here.
Author visit: Ginjer Clarke Visits K-2nd Grade Classes
Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade classes will have the opportunity to meet nonfiction children’s book author Ginjer Clarke on Wednesday, November 13. Ginjer writes fun, fact-filled nonfiction science books about wild, wonderful animals and nature that make learning about nature entertaining and engaging. During her time with students, Ginjer will read from her books and talk about being an author, how a book gets made, writing tips and exercises, and fascinating facts about some unusual creatures.
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have need for a Social Media Volunteer, 5th Grade Parent to coordinate the Yearbook and Graduation and many others for Glebe Activities (Bingo Night, STEM Fair etc). If you are interested, please to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- to Rashmi Agarwal for coordinating the dining night at Pupatella, and all who ordered dinner to raise funds for Glebe!
- to Alyson Fliakas for coordinating the Original Works fundraiser!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email email@example.com – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org –
For events/activities, email email@example.com – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!