Volume 7 | Smile for the Camera Edition | October 17, 2017
Upcoming Events October 17th – October 30th:
- October: Glebe Sweats Month!
- October 17th, 9:00 am: Building of Outdoor Lab Equipment
- October 18th, 7 – 9 pm Educational Center Instructional Focus, Education Center Rm 101 & 102
- October 19th: Class & Individual Picture Day
- October 20th, Walk, Ride or Roll to School
- October 20th, 5:00 pm: Fall Potluck & Movie, Glebe “Backyard”
- October 23rd, 7 – 9 pm: Middle School Information Night, W&L High School
- October 24th, 7 pm: Odyssey of the Mind Meeting, Room TBD
- October 25, 2017, 1:26pm: Early Release Dismissal
- October 25th: All Day/Night Pete’s New Haven Style aPizza
- October 26th: No School, Parent-Teacher Conference
- October 27th: No School, Parent-Teacher Conference
Odyssey of the Mind
Offers students the chance to hone their creative thinking skills in a team environment as they work together in groups of up to 7 to solve a problem. If your child likes building, creative thinking, working with others, or solving problems – this might be a great fit. Parents, if you like watching your child do these things with minimal adult involvement, you may be interested in coaching a team (training is available). Teams typically meet 1 time each week to work on a solution to a problem (they choose the problem from a set of options). Solutions will be presented at a competition on March 17, 2017. All ages may participate – we are only limited by the number of coaches who volunteer. Come to an organizing meeting in the Glebe library on October 24 at 7:00 PM to find out more (both parents and students welcome). (For more information, check out https://www.glebepta.org/extras/odyssey-of-the-mind/ or contact Elaine Maag at ElaineMaag@gmail.com)
Glebe’s Annual Book Swap
- Drop off your gently used books in the school lobby anytime from Thursday, Nov. 9th through Wednesday, Nov. 15th. *Kindergarten and up, no pre-school books
- The books will be collected and sorted throughout the week in preparation for the swap
- Come with your kids to the multi-purpose room between 7-8pm on Nov. 15 and pick up a few “new to you” books for your family – all FREE!
The Swap Meet will be held on Wednesday, November 15 from 7 – 8 pm – Glebe Multi-Purpose Room. Help will be needed November 13th, 14th, and 15th for the Book Swap. Sign up here to volunteer! Questions? Contact Justine Donahue
We will be putting together the newly purchased materials for the outdoor classroom TODAY starting at 9am – Hope to see you there!
Fall Movie & Potluck
Our fabulous volunteers are getting ready for our annual Fall Movie and Potluck this Friday! During the event, we eat dinner and our kids watch a movie (Moana) on the Glebe field. Volunteers help set up, bring food to share and clean up afterwards. Please consider volunteering to make this event fun for all. Click here to help: https://www.glebepta.org/volunteer/?sheet_id=14.
Glebe Garden Committee
Kids and adults are needed to join the volunteer effort to help beautify Glebe! On Sunday, October 29th from 9 am – 12 pm the Glebe Garden Committee will be doing a day of planting. Bring your gloves and a shovel!
Your child(ren) are currently creating a beautiful piece of art for the Original Works program. We are looking for volunteers in November and December to help us organize the orders and disseminate the projects when they come in.
Thank you to all who came out in support of our writers who presented some funny, interesting and unique writings. Julie Madison and Frances McLaughlin once again did an amazing job creating a warm and supportive night. Lastly, thank you to Katherine Moore for hosting, Diane Bok for helping withsound and a special thank you to 3rd grader, Jackson Stoneman, who was a superb host!
I hope to see you at our Fall Movie and Potluck on Friday, October 20th. Finally, the temps are cooling and the bugs are buggin’; it’s perfect weather to grab a blanket and watch Moana with friends. We are in NEED of volunteers to help set up, bring sides and condiments to share and donate to purchase pizza. Please consider helping out here.
Over the weekend, our amazing Glebe gardens volunteers came together to beautify our community by pulling weeds and prepping our garden beds for fall planting next weekend. Thank you to Michelle O’Connor for coordinating a fun family event. Thank you to Stephen Gyor, Kevin Fossett, Dawn Hardesty, Lynda Ramirez-Blust, Rich O’Connor and Robin Crabb for their hard work!
APS is seeking community input on resetting middle school boundaries: https://www.apsva.us/school-options/middle-school-choices/school-information-sessions/
Upcoming APS meetings and information:
- Career Center High School Seats, Wednesday, October 11, from 7-9 pm, W&L Cafeteria, 1301 N. Stafford St. On June 29, 2017 the School Board vote on 1,300 high school seats approved adding 700-800+ seats through an addition to the Career Center.
- Education Center Instructional Focus, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, from 7-9 pm, Education Center, in rooms 101 & 102. On June 29, 2017 the School Board voted to renovate the Education Center Building to provide approximately 500 – 600 high school seats. A working group will propose two to three options for the instructional focus, including: Expansion of Washington-Lee by 600 seats; Open a new high school program with approximately 500 seats (options identified in ACI’s annual report, 2016)
In addition to attending the meetings, you can find more information on these and other projects by:
- Visiting the web page “Engage with APS” https://www.apsva.us/engage/which contains Information about all APS initiatives.
- Email email@example.com questions or concerns.
- Call 703-228-6310 with questions or concerns.
Comment/Idea for the Gleagle News?
email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org