Vol. 4 | Town Hall Edition | Oct. 6, 2020
Oct 6 — Virtual PTA Meeting/Town Hall, 7 pm (online)
Oct 14 — NFL Spirit Day
Oct 21 — APS deadline to select instructional model in ParentVue
Oct 27 — Rhyme & Cheese (online)
Nov 3-16 — Book Fair (online)
Nov 10 — Virtual PTA Meeting, 7 pm (online)
Virtual Town Hall Tonight
Have questions or concerns about the phased return to hybrid/in-person learning? The October PTA meeting will be moved to tonight at 7pm — Zoom link to be posted later today by email and Facebook. Parents will have an opportunity to have a conversation with Principal Borg and the Glebe PTA about the current plan to return to school.
As information from APS is ever changing, Ms. Borg may not have answers to all the questions but we appreciate her taking the time to listen to parents and gather your questions so we can work together in trying to address them to the best of our abilities.
NFL Spirit Day
Football season is here! On Wednesday, October 14, 2020, celebrate NFL Spirit Day. Have your child(ren) show their team spirit by wearing their team colors during their MS Teams classes! Glebe shows its spirit even when we are virtual!
Rhyme & Cheese
Save the date for Rhyme & Cheese on October 27, 2020. This event will be hosted by the PTA over Zoom. Rhyme & Cheese celebrates Glebe students’ own writing in the hopes that it will encourage a love and excitement for the craft by all who participate and come to listen. The student will share their own original writing with the Glebe community in a relaxed atmosphere and hopefully learn to love (or at least get comfortable) speaking in front of others. More information and a link to sign up are forthcoming.
Glebe Community Giving Update
Since March, Glebe Community Giving has provided food assistance to more than 48 families living within the Glebe Elementary School boundaries. They have also been able to provide families with groceries from the Our Lady Queen of Peace food pantry. Unfortunately, the need continues and funds need replenished.
Can you please help?
- Donate to Glebe Community Giving using PayPal at GlebeGiving@gmail.com. These donations will be used to purchase Safeway grocery gift cards.
- Purchase Safeway grocery gift cards ($10 and $25 preferred) if you shop there and deliver them to one of the locations listed below. Please provide your name and email address with the gift cards.
Our neighbors still need our help. It is comforting to know that we live in a caring and giving community and hope that we can once again count on you. Your willingness and generosity are inspiring!
Walktober is here! Bike, walk, or roll with your student.
Starting October 1 and every school day through Halloween on October 31, APS Safe Routes to School (SRTS) will be posting and tweeting out resources, activities, events, safety tips, and customized materials to inspire walking, biking and rolling together while staying apart. Check them out on Twitter at @APSsaferoutes.
Register here: http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/registration/.
If you’re looking for the latest information on return-to-school planning, resources to assist with online school, or how to access meals, please visit the APS webpage. There are frequent updates and also ways to share your questions and input with our superintendent, Dr. Francisco Duran, and members of the school board.
If you are looking for boundary information and opportunities to engage with APS about boundaries click here: https://www.apsva.us/engage/fall2020elementaryboundaries/#ESCommunityEngagement.
Volunteers for 2020-2021 School Year Needed
Parents are needed to support the Enrichment Committee. If you are interested, please contact us at email@example.com.
Do You Have Information to Share?
Don’t be shy. If you have information to share about what’s going on at Glebe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to include information in the PTA newsletter is Sundays at 7 pm.
- To all the parents who are doing their best with virtual learning. Keep it up!
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
- For general questions, email email@example.com – Isabel Simmerman
- For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Liz Newman
- For events/activities, email email@example.com – Amy LaFalce
- For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Jessica Burke
- Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!