Vol. 7 | Rhyme & Cheese Edition | Oct. 27, 2020
Oct 27 — Rhyme & Cheese (online) Nov 3-16 — Book Fair (online) Nov 10 — Virtual PTA Meeting, 7 pm (online)
Online Book Fair Coming SoonSAVE THE DATE for Glebe’s annual book fair! We are going virtual / online this year, hosting our Scholastic book fair from November 3, 2020 to November 17, 2020. The Scholastic Store has over 6,000 products including award-winning books, best sellers, boxed sets, and much more. Stay tuned for more information!
Rhyme & Cheese
Tonight at 7pm via Zoom! Rhyme & Cheese celebrates Glebe students’ own writing in the hopes that it will encourage a love and excitement for the craft by all who participate and come to listen. The student will share their own original writing with the Glebe community in a relaxed atmosphere and hopefully learn to love (or at least get comfortable) speaking in front of others. Questions? Email event coordinators, Julie Madison or Frances McLaughlin.
Girl Scout Book DriveGirl Scout Troop 502 is collecting K-5 books for a book drive to support Hoffman-Boston Elementary School. Please drop off any books you can spare to 1213 N. Vernon Street. We appreciate your support! Email Jennifer Meder with questions.
APS and School Resources Officers Work Group Seeks Committee MembersAPS seeks committee members who will work with staff in reviewing our school division’s relationship and operations with School Resource Officers (SROs), including the review and monitor of the APS Memorandum of Understanding with Arlington County Police Department. APS will gather community feedback, as well as recommendations from stakeholders to the School Board and Superintendent, on the future of this relationship. A recommendation for monitoring will be presented to the School Board in June 2021. Applications for stakeholders interested in joining the 48-member Work Group are available online from Oct. 9 through Nov. 9, 2020.
- Visit www.apsva.us/engage/schoolresourceofficer/ for more information and a timeline.
- A Work Group application in English and Spanish can be completed online.
- Work Group applications are available online in Amharic, Arabic, and Mongolian, with instructions on how to return the completed forms to APS.
2021 School Year Information and Planning for Hybrid/In-Person InstructionInformation and updates about the 2020-21 school year and planning for hybrid/in-person instruction are available at www.apsva.us/school-year-2020-21/. The information includes the latest updates from Superintendent Dr. Durán and FAQs on instructional models, technology, meals and more. Also, there is an APS COVID-19 dashboard. Families can use the APS Engage online form to share questions and comments with APS.
Information in Spanish via WhatsAppIn addition to School Talk messages sent to all families, APS provides information in Spanish for families who prefer “WhatsApp en español.” To join this group, please send the name, school, and cell phone number of the person to be added to Dulce Carrillo, Coordinator of Community Engagement, APS School and Community Relations, at email@example.com. week’s newsletter?
Information about Boundary IssuesIf you are looking for boundary information and opportunities to engage with APS about boundaries click here: https://www.apsva.us/engage/fall2020elementaryboundaries/#ESCommunityEngagement.
Do You Have Information to Share?Don’t be shy. If you have information to share about what’s going on at Glebe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to include information in the PTA newsletter is Sundays at 7 PM
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
- For general questions, email email@example.com – Isabel Simmerman
- For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Liz Newman
- For events/activities, email email@example.com – Amy LaFalce
- For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Jessica Burke
- Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!