Vol. 13 | Happy Thanksgiving! Edition | Nov. 26, 2019
Nov. 27-29 Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 3 – Shopping Night at Child’s Play
Dec. 6 – Rock the Red Day
Dec. 7 – ETC Saturday Rehearsal
Dec. 8-15 – Winter Enrichment Class Registration
Dec. 11 – Early release
Original Works Orders are Here!
Original Works product orders have arrived. If you ordered this year, your items were distributed last week and should have come home with your child either Friday or Monday. If you are missing items, please contact Alyson Fliakas.
Glebe PTA Joins Instagram! Directory Goes Digital!
Glebe PTA is moving further into the 21st century! There is a Glebe PTA account on Instagram. You can follow us @glebeelementarypta. Also new for this school year is an online Glebe directory. Families had the opportunity to opt in to the directory on ParentVue, and updated contact information will be reviewed and included. Stay tuned for an update in the coming weeks!
Letters for the Troops and for Mr. Herninko
December 2 (Mr. H) and December 6 (US Troops)
Every year, the Glebe community has the opportunity to make holiday cards for our troops serving in the military. Many classes write letters or make cards, but this year, we are expendaing the opportunity and inviting you to make cards as a family. Cards and letters can be dropped off in the main office through the morning of December 6. This could be a great family activity over the Thanksgiving break.
There is also still plenty of time to write a letter in support of Mr. Herninko, our amazing PE teacher, for Virginia Teacher of the Year. Letters are due December 2 and should be addressed to
James F. Lane
State Superintendent of Public Instruction
PO Box 2120
Richmond, VA 23218-2120
Glebe Shopping Night at Barston’s Child’s Play
December 3, 6 – 8pm
Winter Enrichment Class Registration
Registration opens Sunday, December 8 at 8:00pm!
The Glebe Enrichment Committee is pleased to share your Winter 2020 After-School enrichment program. The schedule can be found below and online. Stay tuned for the class catalog, coming soon! Registration begins 8pm Sunday, December 8th and runs until midnight, December 15th. On that Sunday night, the registration link will appear on the web site and on the Glebe Facebook page. Classes start Monday, January 13, EXCEPT Wednesdays, which start January 8.Winter 2020 Eng & Span One Page Schedule v2
APS Updates from our Glebe APS Ambassador
APS has issued draft versions of the 2020-21 school year calendar. Visit www.apsva.us/engage/school-year-2020-21-calendar/ for more information.
Community input is vital to formulating the final proposal(s) presented for School Board action on Feb. 6, 2020.
Share Your Input
Choose your preferred way to share your ideas, questions and thoughts at the APS Engage site
•Use the general Online Feedback Form available for input on any issue at APS Engage
•Send questions, ideas and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Participate in A Community Meeting
Join APS for a Community Meeting:
•Dec. 9, 7-8:30 p.m.: Swanson Middle School (5800 N. Washington Blvd.)—includes interpretation for Spanish, Amharic, Arabic and Mongolian, and will be broadcast live online
•Dec. 10, 6:30-8 p.m.: Central Library (1015 N. Quincy St.)—includes interpretation for Spanish, Amharic, Arabic and Mongolian
•Dec. 13, 12-1 p.m.: Webinar (details forthcoming)
•Dec. 16, 7-8:30 p.m.: Kenmore Middle School (200 S. Carlin Springs Rd.)—in Spanish with English interpretation
For more information, visit www.apsva.us/engage/planning-for-2020-elementary-school-boundary-process/. Two APS have been presented in preparation for the Fall 2020 Elementary School Boundary Process that explore moving some elementary schools in order to address the challenges with developing boundaries. The proposals may be potentially revised as APS gathers stakeholder ideas and suggestions through a community engagement process, underway now until School Board action on Feb 6, 2020. Changes would take effect in Sept. 2021.
Please contact Glebe’s APS Ambassador, Grace Solares with questions about items in this update or to signal your interest in other District initiatives, news and events.
Student/Teacher Raffle Donations: Donate now to the April 2020 Student/Teacher Raffle!
Received unwanted holiday gifts? Duplicate birthday gifts? Please consider donating unopened, unused gifts, toys, gift cards, electronics to the 2020 Raffle. Popular raffle items include outdoor games, sports-themed items, electronic and video games, gift cards, arts & craft items, Legos, and any currently “hot” toys including items that teachers might want to win. Contact Shelley Maniscalco, the raffle chair, if you have items to donate. The Student/Teacher Raffle is the kids’ chance to participate in the auction fun. Each child receives one ticket provided by the PTA, and can purchase additional tickets for 25 cents each. The raffle will be held the week of April 14-17, 2020. Donate items now!
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have need for a 5th Grade Parent to help with Yearbook and Graduation and we are now looking for a parent to help Ms Williams plan the STEM night on March 11, 2020. If you are interested, please to contact us at email@example.com.
- to Tara Blankinship and Julie Madison for coordinating the Thanksgiving Basket Brigade, and special thanks to the many families who donated!
- to our BFF team Cornelia Leah and Shelley Maniscalco, and volunteers Ali Collins, Lauren Barber and Amy LaFalce for helping with the BFF Snack Showcase!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email email@example.com –
For events/activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email email@example.com – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!