Vol. 12 | Thanksgiving Basket Brigade Edition | Nov. 19, 2019
Nov. 22 – Thanksgiving Turkey Basket Brigade
Nov. 25 – BFF Snack Showcase
Nov. 27-29 Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 2 – Shopping Night at Child’s Play
Thanksgiving Basket Brigade
Friday, November 22 at 9am
The idea behind the Basket Brigade is that one family can make a difference by helping another family within our school community. Thank you to all volunteers who signed up to bring in a pre-filled basket of food which will be anonymously provided to a Glebe family. For more information, please click here. Volunteers will be at the school at 8:00 to start receiving baskets. We understand many of you have to get to work, so feel free to drop them off early. If you are arriving before 8:00, please leave baskets in the office or lobby. If you have specific questions, please email Tara Blankinship or Julie Madison
BFF Healthy Snack Showcase
Rescheduled! Monday, November 25
The BFF (Brains, Food, & Fitness) team will have a table in the cafeteria on Friday, Nov. 8 to offer all students a healthy snack sample. We are looking for volunteers to help hand out snacks. You can sign up to help out here and learn more about the BFF initiative here
Glebe Shopping Night at Barston’s Child’s Play
December 3rd, 6 – 8pm
APS Updates from our Glebe APS Ambassador
Elementary School Planning Proposals
Two APS proposals have been presented in preparation for the Fall 2020 Elementary School Boundary Process that explore moving some elementary schools in order to address the challenges with developing boundaries. The proposals may be potentially revised as APS gathers stakeholder ideas and suggestions through a community engagement process, underway now until School Board action on Feb. 6, 2020. Changes would take effect in Sept. 2021.
Families can now view an Online Information Session and participate in a Community Questionnaire. The session—available in English and Spanish—includes information about boundary challenges, explains the two proposals, and answers community questions received to date. Learn more and get involved:
- Review the boundary challenges, proposals to move schools, FAQs, and more at APS Engage
- View a recorded Online Information Session in English or Spanish at APS Engage, Arlington Educational Television (AETV) and Facebook
- Share your input using a bilingual community questionnaire available Nov. 5- 24 at APS Engage
- View the Nov. 6 School Board Work Session on planning
Your APS Ambassador
Please contact Glebe’s APS Ambassador, Grace Solares with questions about items in this update or to signal your interest in other District initiatives, news and events.
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have need for a Directory Volunteer, 5th Grade Parent Yearbook and Graduation and many others for Glebe Activities (Bingo Night, STEM Fair etc). If you are interested, please to contact us at email@example.com.
- to Jennifer Meder and Ms. Kuchera for coordinating our author visit from Ginjer Clarke!
- to Amy LaFalce, Jessica Burke and Lauren Barber for helping with make up picture day!
- to Frances McLaughlin, Julie Madison, Ms. Wexler, Ms. Moore, and all of our Rhyme and Cheesers!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email email@example.com –
For events/activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email email@example.com – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!