Vol. 39 | 9 DAYS of SCHOOL and COUNTING Edition | June 11, 2019
June 12 – EARLY RELEASE
June 18 – 5th Grade Picnic
June 19 – 5th Grade Promotion
June 21 – School Kidz orders DUE
June 21 – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL (Early Release)
**Our dedicated crossing guard, Mr. Washington, is retiring on the last day of school. Please wish him well when you see him over the next few weeks!
**If you have any receipts/expenses for reimbursement to submit to the PTA, please do so NO LATER THAN JUNE 7th for payment.
Please contact our Treasurer, Diana Paulraj, with any questions: email@example.com
**As a token of appreciation for everyone who made it out to Glebe Day at Nats Park (May 18th), the Nationals wanted to send a personal coupon code that can be used to get discounts on Nats tickets. To take advantage of these savings please do the following:
1. Go to www.nationals.com/VIP
2. Select the game of your choice
3. Insert the code CMURPHY into the Coupon Code box
4. Select seat location and quantity
APS School Ambassador needed for 2019-20
Please see below for description of the role and if intersted, please email Jamie Borg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Role & Responsibilities
The Ambassador role was developed in 2017 to help APS families stay up to date on initiatives that are division-wide, for example, boundary adjustments, School Board policy changes, the 2018-24 Strategic Plan, and more. To learn more about the type of information involved, please visit https://www.apsva.us/engage/.
- Principals identify a parent volunteer each year to serve as an APS School Ambassador; some schools have two to three volunteers in this role, including one who speaks Spanish or another language
- At some schools, the Ambassador role is filled by the PTA President, VP, or Newsletter volunteer
- There is one in-person Ambassador meeting at Syphax Education Center in the fall, and a mid-year update (which may be delivered via online presentation)
- Ambassadors receive a weekly email update throughout the school year with information in English and Spanish about current APS initiatives, decision points and deadlines, and how people can learn more and participate
- Ambassadors are asked to share relevant information from the bilingual weekly email updates with families using the communications channels that work best for each school, including PTA website/newsletter, email, social media, handouts, texts/WhatsApp, or parent meetings
- Ambassadors are asked to share questions or input they hear from families that can help APS identify information needs and develop FAQs, handouts and other communication pieces
School Kidz Orders
Save time and money by ordering your child’s supply kit today! No running from store to store. Kits are personalized and include exact items required for next school year. Please see below for information on donating kits to students in need, as well!
*PLEASE CONSIDER ORDERING A DONATED KIT WITH YOUR OWN*
They are in need at all grade levels!
Order online at:
Use Account #: 30024
Order online by: June 21, 2019
Kit Pick Up: In Classroom on the First Day of School
1st Grade $79.00
2nd Grade $67.00
3rd Grade $65.00
4th Grade $87.00
5th Grade $80.00
**Kit components may be viewed online.**
Important Parent Notes
***Make sure to order for the grade your child will be in NEXT year
*** All sales are final, no returns or exchanges are accepted.
The portal closes at 11:59 EST on June 21, 2019. We have no way to place orders after that time.
Interested in helping a Glebe student in need? Order a kit and please fill in “Donation” in the first and last name fields. We have a huge need at all grade levels.
Thank you! Questions? Contact Ainsley at email@example.com
NOTE: When ordering, please DO NOT change the address or phone number. The kits are shipped directly to Glebe.
Calling all girls interested in Scouting! Troop 163 is a newly-formed, all-girl troop with Scouts BSA (formally known as Boy Scouts.) This high-energy, well-equipped troop has a year-round program designed to build character, citizenship, and personal fitness through camping and scout-led leadership, with the counsel of a trained Scoutmaster. Girls explore their interests and improve a variety of skills while working toward Scouting’s highest rank: Eagle.
Troop 163 meets Mondays from 7:30-9:00 pm at Westover Baptist Church, 1125 Patrick Henry Dr Arlington, VA 22205. (Check the website for the summer schedule.) Any girl 11-17 interested in joining the troop, should contact Troop 163’s Scoutmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org,
Glebe Tutors for Glebe kids
Calling All Dorothy Hamm Middle School Rising 6th Graders!
Join us this summer at the Rosslyn Outdoor Movie Festival for a chance to connect with fellow DHMS rising 6th graders! Mark your calendar for the DHMS 6th Grade Summer Movie Nights, hosted by the DHMS PTSA:
- Friday, June 14th 5:00pm* – Paddington
- Friday, July 12th 5:00pm* – Incredibles 2
- Look for the DHMS area & wear RED to find DHMS families
- Bring your blankets, chairs & snacks
- Local food trucks and popcorn available for sale
- Visit rosslynva.org for more event details– DHMS PTSA on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/
groups/252586794927556/)– DHMS PTSA on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dhms_ptsa #dhmssummerfun #dhms6thgrade*Movie starts at 5:30pm.
- to Deb Ryan and Wayne Herninko and all our parent and teacher/staff volunteers who made FIELD DAY spectacular!
to all the kids and families for supporting the book and game drive that 5th Grade Junior Troop 5742 organized last week as their Bronze Award action project!
A message from Troop 5742…
Through your donations, we were able to make a library for kids and teenagers staying at The Horizon, a new family homeless shelter, in DC. The shelter has about 35 rooms and on any given night, there are about 70 kids living there while their families make a plan to move to a new home and try to recover from the emergency that caused them to become homeless.Our project will help give kids a chance to read and play, while they are the shelter. In addition to the library, we were able to collect enough donated games so that the shelter will have plenty of games to have a new family game night every Friday. We also took several boxes of toys for kids to play with in the community rooms. In total, we collected more than 2,600 items and took 40 boxes of books, games, and personal items like kids toothbrushes and baby teething toys. We took everything to the shelter on Sunday.
We are proud to announce the winning classroom, in the contest to collect the most donations, was Ms. Redican’s class. They collected 485 items. Well done and congratulations! And thank you to everyone who helped us in our project to do something kind for other kids.
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects throughout the year.
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email email@example.com – Kristen Johnson
For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Chai Puri
For events/activities, email email@example.com – Lauren Barber
For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org –
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!