Vol. 18 | First PTA Meeting of the Decade! Edition | Jan. 14, 2020
Jan. 14 – PTA Meeting
Jan. 15 – EARLY RELEASE and District Taco Dining Night
Jan. 20 – NO SCHOOL – Martin Luther King, Jr Holiday
Jan. 31 – NO SCHOOL – Grade Preparation Day
Feb. 6 – Book Swap
SAVE THE DATE – Feb. 20 – Multicultural Night
Digital Directory is LIVE!
Opt in by January 15
The online Glebe directory is now LIVE. You can access it from the PTA website under the “Directory” tab or by clicking here. You MUST opt in to access the directory; please opt in by TOMORROW, January 15 when we will complete the next update. Instructions on how to opt in can be found on the directory landing page. A limited number of printed copies will be available in the Glebe front office by request. You also have the option to download as a PDF through the site. Questions? We will have a Q&A at the PTA meeting TONIGHT, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 14th, 7pm
Our next PTA meeting will be held TONIGHT at 7pm in the Glebe library. Agenda items include Mrs. Borg discussing “This is Glebe,” a new program celebrating the diversity of our community, Outdoor Lab coming to present their programs, and a budget update and directory Q&A session. We will have child care for all potty trained children during the meeting and Spanish translation will be provided. If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at an upcoming meeting, please send it to email@example.com.
Dining Night at District Taco
January 15th, 4-10pm
Need dinner, and don’t feel like cooking? Come out for burritos, enchiladas, tacos, salsa and more on Wednesday, January 15th from 4 – 10pm at District Taco (5723 Lee Highway, Arlington, VA 22207). This restaurant is a Glebe favorite, so come on out and say hello to your fellow Glebers!
Remember to say “Glebe Elementary” and our PTA gets a proceed from all Glebe sales!
Jan. 13–Feb. 28—2020 Your Voice Matters Survey
The 2020 Your Voice Matters survey will be administered Jan 13-Feb. 28 to APS families, students in grades 4-12, staff and teachers to gain insight on such topics as school and community climate, well-being, and engagement. This biannual survey is a collaboration between APS and the Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth, and Families. Families will receive an email message on Jan. 13 from Panorama Education with a link to the survey; a paper survey will be mailed to families with no email address on file at APS.
Survey results will inform work across the school division and the County, and will provide APS with new benchmarks for measuring progress on the 2018-24 Strategic Plan.
Jan. 30: School Board Public Hearing on Elementary School Planning (if this is cancelled due to inclement weather, the Public Hearing will be held at 6 p.m. on Feb. 6, 2020)
Yearbook Photos Needed!
Year in and year out, Glebe always has a fantastic yearbook! To make it shine again this year, the designers want to include as many photos of kids and teachers in action as possible. Your help contributing photos you have taken in the school (or at other Glebe events) will be most appreciated! A Google Drive is in place to house photos, and folders by grade and activity have been created to keep track of different homerooms, specials, resource teachers, events, etc. Please contribute, and thanks for your help!
Thursday, February 6, 7-8pm
Glebe’s annual Book Swap will be held Thursday, Feb. 6 from 7-8pm in the Multipurpose Room. Drop off your gently used books in the school lobby anytime between Monday, Jan. 27 and Thursday, Feb. 6. (Kindergarten and up, no preschool books please!) The books will be collected and sorted throughout the week in preparation for the swap. Come with your kids to the multi-purpose room between 7-8pm on Feb. 6 and pick up a few “new to you” books for your family – all FREE! (Bring a bag!)
Questions? Contact Justine Donahue.
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have an URGENT NEED need for a parent to help Ms Williams plan the STEM night on March 11, 2020, and for 2 parents to help plan Glebe Day at Nats Park. If you are interested, please to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date: Multicultural Night
Thursday, February 20, 6:30pm
Multicultural Night will be held Thursday, Feb. 20 starting at 6:30pm. This year’s theme is “Hello to the Children of the World,” and each table will teach Glebers how to say “hello” in a different language. Please sign up here to host a table to showcase a country or culture, and stay tuned for more details!
- to Kristen Johnson, Tara Blankinship, Julie Madison, Robbin Boyajy, Lauren Ripley, Frances McLaughlin, Ingrid Winterling, Monica Irvine, Enjali Goyal, Stephanie Smarr, Ashlee Burt, Amy LaFalce, Shelly Stoneman, Jason Stoneman, and the many families who contributed to make Power Packs for Food for Others!
- to Michelle Zlakowski and Kristen Hand for coordinating Bingo Night, and to Ms. Borg, Ms. Clarke-Marshall, and Eliot Dupree for leading a fun night!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email email@example.com – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org –
For events/activities, email email@example.com – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!