Volume 17 | Welcome 2018 Edition| January 2, 2018
January 2nd: Welcome Back to School
January 5th, 8:30 am: Walk, Ride or Roll to School
January 7th, Community Service Event, 3-5pm
January 8th, 3:45 pm: Enrichment Classes Begin
January 10th, 1:26 pm: Early Release Dismissal
January 11th, 7 pm: Bingo Night, Glebe Multi Purpose Room
January 12th, 8:30 am: Walk, Ride or Roll to School
January 15th: Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday No School
Community Service Event
Sunday, January 7th, 3-5 pm
START THE YEAR OFF HELPING OTHERS
The Glebe Community Service Committee proudly presents “Start the New Year Off Helping Others” – a Fundraiser for Food for Others, an award-winning nonprofit that fights hunger in our community by distributing donated food to NoVA residents and their kids.
Why: There are children in our community who do not have enough to eat during the weekends when they are without access to school feeding programs. Your family can help by providing “Power Packs.” (And it is as easy a clicking on an Amazon wish list – really – see below.)
What: A Power Pack is a bag that supplies children with two sets of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks of pre-selected non-perishable foods that are easy to make and consume over a weekend.
How: Three ways to Help – Consider any One or All Three!
1. Go to our Amazon Wish List and order from the food items listed there as soon as possible and no later than January 3rd.(We cannot accept individual donations of food for this fundraiser due to the need to have an exact balanced count of all of the items mentioned.)
2. And/or you can donate money to the Crowdrise page created to support this event. Every dollar makes a difference!
3. And/or your family can help assemble the Power Packs with other Glebers on Sunday, January 7th in the Glebe Multipurpose Room from 3-5 pm.
When: Now through Sunday, January 7th when Power Packs are assembled (we need lots of hands on 1/7).
Who: Glebe students and their families as well as friends in the community are welcome to donate and/or assemble Power Packs on January 7, 2018.
(Kids 3 and up can also provide help with parental supervision.)
Winter Enrichment Classes
Begin Week of January 8th
Did you sign up your child(ren) for a winter enrichment class? If so, you should see a reminder email for the class(es) regarding location and payment, as classes start this week at 3:45 pm. Please note most classes end at 4:45 pm, but a few classes end at 5 pm.
Thursday, January 11th 7 – 9 pm
Join fellow Glebe Elementary School families for a night of free fun at Glebe Elementary School Bingo night in the Multi Purpose Room.
Principal Borg and Assistant Principal Clarke-Marshall will once again take to the stage announcing numbers along with last year’s bingo-caller auction winner.
Callers announce a way to win at the start of each round;
Multiple winners every round;
First winner receives a kid-friendly gift card, subsequent winners receive a smaller prize; and
All attendees leave with a small prize.
Want to volunteer? Sign up here to help out!
Family Bowling Afternoon
Sunday, January 21st 1 – 3 pm
Is it cold outside yet? This event is FREE for all who want to come do something active, but inside, at Bowl America in Falls Church. Come join other Glebe families for a two hours of bowling fun.
The Glebe Elementary School PTA has spots for 120 bowlers for 2 hours, and will also cover the costs to rent those special shoes.
Please reserve your spot as soon as you are sure you can attend. Let’s bowl! To reserve your spot, click here.
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? Our broken, used crayons are being collected and repurposed. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
Reed Elementary School Update:
A recent presentation includes useful information on progress in developing this new elementary school in our area. Please click here to read more.
They have developed five alternative site layouts, along with pros and cons of each. Click here to read more.
If you have comments, please email: email@example.com
The next community forum is January 17th at 7 pm at Reed Elementary School Multipurpose room. You are encouraged to come and give input to the project thus far.
Thank you to these incredible parents!
- Sarah Smith, Joy Zaremba, Lynda Ramirez-Blust, Jessica Burke, Beth Feldpush and Christina Caretti (Winter Enrichment)
- Christina Headrick for all of her help improving our website and our enrichment registration.
Comment/Idea for the Gleagle News?
Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org