Vol. 19 | Sliding into 2020! Edition | Jan. 14, 2020
Jan. 31 – NO SCHOOL – Grade Preparation Day
Feb. 6 – Book Swap
Feb. 12 – Early Release
Feb. 17 – NO SCHOOL- Presidents’ Day
Feb. 20 – Multicultural Night
Feb. 26 – Dining Night at Nando’s Peri-Peri Ballston
Thursday, February 6, 7-8pm
Glebe’s annual Book Swap will be held Thursday, Feb. 6 from 7-8pm in the Multipurpose Room. Drop off your gently used books in the school lobby anytime between Monday, Jan. 27 and Thursday, Feb. 6. (Kindergarten and up, no preschool books please!) The books will be collected and sorted throughout the week in preparation for the swap. Come with your kids to the multi-purpose room between 7-8pm on Feb. 6 and pick up a few “new to you” books for your family – all FREE! (Bring a bag!) As with all PTA events, your help is greatly needed and appreciated. You can sign up here. Thanks in advance!
Questions? Contact Justine Donahue.
Jan. 13–Feb. 28—2020 Your Voice Matters Survey
The 2020 Your Voice Matters survey will be administered Jan 13-Feb. 28 to APS families, students in grades 4-12, staff and teachers to gain insight on such topics as school and community climate, well-being, and engagement. This biannual survey is a collaboration between APS and the Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth, and Families. Families will receive an email message on Jan. 13 from Panorama Education with a link to the survey; a paper survey will be mailed to families with no email address on file at APS.
Survey results will inform work across the school division and the County, and will provide APS with new benchmarks for measuring progress on the 2018-24 Strategic Plan.
Jan. 30: School Board Public Hearing on Elementary School Planning (if this is cancelled due to inclement weather, the Public Hearing will be held at 6 p.m. on Feb. 6, 2020)
Thursday, February 20, 6:30pm
Multicultural Night will be held Thursday, Feb. 20 starting at 6:30pm. This year’s theme is “Hello to the Children of the World,” and each table will teach Glebers how to say “hello” in a different language. Please sign up here to host a table to showcase a country or culture, and stay tuned for more details!
Dining Night at Nando’s Peri-Peri
Wednesday, February 26, 5-10pm
Need dinner and want a night out? Then head over to Nando’s PERi PERi – Ballston at 4401 Wilson Blvd. and have some tasty chicken, salads, and sides (see https://www.nandosperiperi.com/)! Nando’s chicken dishes originally come from southern Africa with a Portuguese twist. Peri Peri is the chili that grows in Mozambique and gives Nando’s chicken its unique flavor.
Nando’s Ballston will be generosly contributing 40% of Glebe sales and Glebe families will need to print or show this flyer from their mobile phones. Please come on out to have some tasty chicken and support Glebe PTA!
The Future is Now! :
Help Glebe roar into 2020 by contributing to the April 25, 2020 Glebe Social & Auction
SPONSOR the Festivities with a Family Monetary Donation that will be combined together to purchase big tickets items, to round out prize packages, and to defray auction expenses: https://glebe.ejoinme.org/2020registration.DONATE a Speciﬁc Item, Experience or Service like vacation home time, tickets to sporting events and concerts, gift certiﬁcates for special experiences, or professional services: https://glebe.ejoinme.org/2020donations.
CONNECT your business or employer with our auction committee to discuss donations: Liznewman@gmail.com.
HOST a party for the Glebe Community: Our most popular auction items are the Glebe parties. Families join together to host amazing theme parties and dinners and activities: https://glebe.ejoinme.org/2020donations.
Please contact Liz Newman with any questions. The deadline for donations is Sunday, March 15, 2020.
Thank you for your support!
Yearbook Photos Needed!
Year in and year out, Glebe always has a fantastic yearbook! To make it shine again this year, the designers want to include as many photos of kids and teachers in action as possible. Your help contributing photos you have taken in the school (or at other Glebe events) will be most appreciated! A Google Drive is in place to house photos, and folders by grade and activity have been created to keep track of different homerooms, specials, resource teachers, events, etc. Please contribute, and thanks for your help!
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have an URGENT NEED need for 2 parents to help plan Glebe Day at Nats Park. If you are interested, please to contact us at email@example.com.
- to Outdoor Lab and Mrs. Borg for presenting at the PTA Meeting!
- to Rashmi Agarwal for coordinating District Taco dining night, and for all who came out to support Glebe PTA!
- to Sarah Botha for all of the hard work on the Glebe Directory update!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email email@example.com –
For events/activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email email@example.com – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!