Vol. 21 | Book Swapping! Edition | Feb. 4, 2020
Feb. 4 – PTA Meeting
Feb. 6 – Book Swap
Feb. 12 – Early Release
Feb. 17 – NO SCHOOL- Presidents’ Day
Feb. 20 – Multicultural Night
Feb. 23 – Online Summer Camp Sale
Feb. 26 – Dining Night at Nando’s Peri-Peri Ballston
SAVE THE DATE – Mar. 11 -STEM Night
PTA Meeting TONIGHT
Tuesday, February 4, 7pm
Our next PTA meeting will be held TONIGHT, Tuesday, Feb. 4th at 7pm in the Glebe library. Carolyn Jackson, Supervisor of the APS Office of Equity & Excellence, will come to talk about what APS is doing to promote equity in our schools. She will be joined by the Equity & Excellence officers from Swanson and Dorothy Hamm Middle Schools, who will discuss initiatives at the middle school level. We will have child care for all potty trained children during the meeting and Spanish translation will be provided. If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at an upcoming meeting, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, February 6, 7-8pm
Glebe’s annual Book Swap will be held Thursday, Feb. 6 from 7-8pm in the Multipurpose Room. Drop off your gently used books in the school lobby anytime between Monday, Jan. 27 and Thursday, Feb. 6. (Kindergarten and up, no preschool books please!) The books will be collected and sorted throughout the week in preparation for the swap. Come with your kids to the multi-purpose room between 7-8pm on Feb. 6 and pick up a few “new to you” books for your family – all FREE! (Bring a bag!) As with all PTA events, your help is greatly needed and appreciated. You can sign up here. Thanks in advance!
Questions? Contact Justine Donahue.
Thursday, February 20, 6:30pm
Multicultural Night will be held Thursday, Feb. 20 starting at 6:30pm. This year’s theme will be “Hello to the Children of the World” and each table will teach Glebers how to say “hello” in a different language. Please sign up here to host a table to showcase a country or culture, and click here for more details!
Through Feb. 28—2020 Your Voice Matters Survey
APS encourages families, students in grades 4-12, staff and teachers to participate in the 2020 Your Voice Matters survey before Feb. 28 to share insight on such topics as school and community climate, well-being, and engagement. The survey is confidential and administered by Panorama Education, which sent survey information to families via email or U.S. mail on Jan. 13. For more information, visit www.apsva.us/engage/your-voice-matters-survey-2020
Dining Night at Nando’s Peri-Peri
Wednesday, February 26, 5-10pm
Need dinner and want a night out? Then head over to Nando’s PERi PERi – Ballston at 4401 Wilson Blvd. and have some tasty chicken, salads, and sides (see https://www.nandosperiperi.com/)! Nando’s chicken dishes originally come from southern Africa with a Portuguese twist. Peri Peri is the chili that grows in Mozambique and gives Nando’s chicken its unique flavor.
Nando’s Ballston will be generosly contributing 40% of Glebe sales and Glebe families will need to print or show this flyer from their mobile phones. Please come on out to have some tasty chicken and support Glebe PTA!Glebe 2020 - Nandos
Save the Date: STEM Night
Mark your calendars for the Glebe STEM Night on March 11 from 6:30-8:00pm and get ready for an amazing night of invention and discovery by our young scientists and engineers!!! We do need a few hands to help make the night go smoothly so please sign up here if you’re available. Display boards will be on sale before school and on the evening of February 20 for $3. If you have questions, please contact our STEM Night coordinator, Rachael Scholz.
Glebe Social & Auction
Saturday, April 25
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! If you are interested, please contact us at email@example.com.
- to Sarah Botha for all of the hard work on the Glebe Directory update!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email email@example.com –
For events/activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email email@example.com – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!