Vol. 24 | It’s Mardi Gras! Edition | Feb. 25, 2020
Feb. 26 – Dining Night at Nando’s Peri-Peri Ballston
Mar. 3 – PTA Meeting
Mar. 5 – Early Release
Mar. 6 – NO SCHOOL – Conferences
Mar. 11 – Early Release AND STEM Night
Dining Night at Nando’s Peri-Peri
Wednesday, February 26, 5-10pm
Need dinner and want a night out? Then head over to Nando’s PERi PERi – Ballston at 4401 Wilson Blvd. and have some tasty chicken, salads, and sides (see https://www.nandosperiperi.com/)! Nando’s chicken dishes originally come from southern Africa with a Portuguese twist. Peri Peri is the chili that grows in Mozambique and gives Nando’s chicken its unique flavor.
Nando’s Ballston will be generosly contributing 40% of Glebe sales and Glebe families will need to print or show this flyer from their mobile phones. Please come on out to have some tasty chicken and support Glebe PTA!Glebe 2020 - Nandos
Yearbook Photos Needed!
Sunday, March 1
Year in and year out, Glebe always has a fantastic yearbook! To make it shine again this year, the designers want to include as many photos of kids and teachers in action as possible. Your help contributing photos you have taken in the school (or at other Glebe events) will be most appreciated! A Google Drive is in place to house photos, and folders by grade and activity have been created to keep track of different homerooms, specials, resource teachers, events, etc. Please contribute your photos by SUNDAY, MARCH 1, and thanks for your help!
Feb. 27—School Board Meeting with Presentation of Superintendent’s Proposed FY 2021 Budget and Budget Work Session #1
The School Board will hold a meeting on Feb. 27 that includes the presentation of the Superintendent’s Proposed FY 2021 Budget; a Work Session will follow immediately after the presentation. The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in the Syphax Education Center (2110 Washington Blvd) and can be viewed live online. To learn more about the FY 2021 budget development and the timeline of five additional work sessions before the School Board is scheduled to adopt a budget in May 2020, visit www.apsva.us/budget-finance/.
TEN DAYS LEFT—2020 Your Voice Matters Survey Closes Feb. 28
APS families have ten days left to participate in the 2020 Your Voice Matters survey before it closes on Feb. 28. This survey is confidential and administered by Panorama Education to APS families, students in grades 4-12, staff and teachers, with a focus on topics such as school and community climate, well-being and engagement. Anyone who needs a survey link re-sent to them can request it via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Results will be reported in Spring 2020. For more information, visit www.apsva.us/engage/your-voice-matters-survey-2020/.Through Feb. 28—2020 Your Voice Matters Survey
Wednesday, March 11, 6:30-8:00pm
Glebe STEM Night will be held on March 11 from 6:30-8:00pm and get ready for an amazing night of invention and discovery by our young scientists and engineers!!! We do need a few hands to help make the night go smoothly so please sign up here if you’re available. Display boards will be on sale before school and on the evening of February 20 for $3. If you have questions, please contact our STEM Night coordinator, Rachael Scholz.
Headfirst Camp Discount
If you tried and missed the week at Headfirst during the online camp sale, don’t despair! Headfirst Summer Camps is offering Glebe students and families a discount of 10% off their award-winning summer camp programs! Headfirst camps provide a variety of activities in a supportive and nurturing environment for campers ages 3-13. Their Junior Day Camp and Day Camp use a unique weekly theme through which campers learn independence and school readiness while participating in activities such as arts & crafts, music & movement, STEM and camp games. Headfirst also offers Multi-Sport Camp and STEM Camp for campers in rising K to 6th grade. With six convenient locations across the DMV including a bus directly from Arlington to their St. Patrick’s location in NW DC, Headfirst campers will have the opportunity to try new things, grow and expand their horizons. Please visit headfirstcamps.com or call (202) 625-1921 to register. Use the discount code GES10 to save up to 10% off before May!
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? We have an urgent need for a Spiritwear coordinator, as well as someone to chair the Spring Showdown, Teacher Appreciation Week, and Field Day. There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! If you are interested, please contact us at email@example.com.
- to Feven Woldu for chairing Multicultural Night! And to Neera Parikh, Kelli Polon, Kendra Russell, Amy LaFalce, Isabel Simmerman, and the many Glebe families who created another wonderful Multicultural Night event!
- to Lindsey Binstock, Liz Newman, Jessica Burke, Kristen Johnson, and everyone who made the Online Summer Camp Sale a success!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email email@example.com –
For events/activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email email@example.com – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!