Vol. 15 | Holiday Tags! Edition | Dec. 10, 2019
Dec. 8-12 – Winter Enrichment Class Registration
Dec. 11 – Early Release
Dec. 12 and 13 – ETC Theater Show
Dec. 18 – Holiday Cookies for Teachers
Dec. 23-Jan. 6 – NO SCHOOL – Winter Break
Winter Enrichment Class Registration
Registration runs through Thursday, December 12 at midnight!
Registration is underway NOW and runs until midnight on Thursday, December 12th. The registration link is up on the web site and on the Glebe Facebook page. The schedule and class catalog can be found online. Classes start Monday, January 13, EXCEPT Wednesdays, which start January 8.
Calling all Bakers! Holiday Cookies for Teachers and Staff!
December 18, 8-9AM
Let’s show our teachers and staff how much we appreciate them by showering them with an assortment of holiday cookies. Please consider baking a batch or two of cookies or other goodies and bringing your treats to the Main Conference Room (first floor near the gym) on Dec. 18th from 8-9 AM.
Our Glebe staff will select a bunch and take them home in festive containers. We have A LOT of faculty members at Glebe, so we need A LOT of goodies and we’re hoping for 100 dozen items! Sign up HERE!
Lauren Barber will be this year’s event coordinator, making sure that there are enough volunteers and sweet treats. Please contact her if you have any questions.
Yearbook Photos Needed!
Year in and year out, Glebe always has a fantastic yearbook! To make it shine again this year, the designers want to include as many photos of kids and teachers in action as possible. Your help contributing photos you have taken in the school (or at other Glebe events) will be most appreciated! A Google Drive is in place to house photos, and folders by grade and activity have been created to keep track of different homerooms, specials, resource teachers, events, etc. Please contribute, and thanks for your help!
Directory Goes Digital! Glebe PTA Joins Instagram!
Glebe PTA is moving further into the 21st century! There is a Glebe PTA account on Instagram: follow us at glebeelementarypta. Also new for this school year is an online Glebe directory. Families had the opportunity to opt in to the directory on ParentVue, and updated contact information will be reviewed and included. A stand alone email will be send out this week with instruction on how to access it.
APS Updates from our Glebe APS Ambassador
APS has issued draft versions of the 2020-21 school year calendar. Visit www.apsva.us/engage/school-year-2020-21-calendar/ for more information.
Community input is vital to formulating the final proposal(s) presented for School Board action on Feb. 6, 2020.
Share Your Input
Choose your preferred way to share your ideas, questions and thoughts at the APS Engage site
•Use the general Online Feedback Form available for input on any issue at APS Engage
•Send questions, ideas and comments to email@example.com
Participate in A Community Meeting
Join APS for a Community Meeting:
•Dec. 10, 6:30-8 p.m.: Central Library (1015 N. Quincy St.)—includes interpretation for Spanish, Amharic, Arabic and Mongolian
•Dec. 13, 12-1 p.m.: Webinar (details forthcoming)
•Dec. 16, 7-8:30 p.m.: Kenmore Middle School (200 S. Carlin Springs Rd.)—in Spanish with English interpretation
For more information, visit www.apsva.us/engage/planning-for-2020-elementary-school-boundary-process/. Two APS have been presented in preparation for the Fall 2020 Elementary School Boundary Process that explore moving some elementary schools in order to address the challenges with developing boundaries. The proposals may be potentially revised as APS gathers stakeholder ideas and suggestions through a community engagement process, underway now until School Board action on Feb 6, 2020. Changes would take effect in Sept. 2021.
Please contact Glebe’s APS Ambassador, Grace Solares with questions about items in this update or to signal your interest in other District initiatives, news and events.
Dining Night at District Taco
January 15th, 4-10pm
Need dinner, and don’t feel like cooking? Head over to Come out for burritos, enchiladas, tacos, salsa and more on Wednesday, January 15th from 4 – 10pm at District Taco (5723 Lee Highway, Arlington, VA 22207). This restaurant is a Glebe favorite, so come on out and say hello to your fellow Glebers!
Remember to say “Glebe Elementary” and our PTA gets a proceed from all Glebe sales!
Student/Teacher Raffle Donations: Donate now to the April 2020 Student/Teacher Raffle!
Received unwanted holiday gifts? Duplicate birthday gifts? Please consider donating unopened, unused gifts, toys, gift cards, electronics to the 2020 Raffle. Popular raffle items include outdoor games, sports-themed items, electronic and video games, gift cards, arts & craft items, Legos, and any currently “hot” toys including items that teachers might want to win. Contact Shelley Maniscalco, the raffle chair, if you have items to donate. The Student/Teacher Raffle is the kids’ chance to participate in the auction fun. Each child receives one ticket provided by the PTA, and can purchase additional tickets for 25 cents each. The raffle will be held the week of April 14-17, 2020. Donate items now!
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have need for a 5th Grade Parent to help with Yearbook and Graduation and we are now looking for a parent to help Ms Williams plan the STEM night on March 11, 2020. If you are interested, please to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- to Rashmi Agarwal for coordinating, Matt Lesh and Liz Newman for wrapping, and all who supported Glebe on the Shopping Night at Barston’s Child’s Play!
- to Beronica Salas, Lauren Barber, and Tara Blankinship for coordinating the Holiday Tags, and to all of you who picked up a Tag!
- to Noor Osman, Jessica Burke, Christina Caretti, Beth Feldpush, Jacqueline Lotts, Michelle Zlakowski, Lynda Ramirez-Blust for creating a fantastic lineup of Winter Enrichment classes!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email email@example.com – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org –
For events/activities, email email@example.com – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email firstname.lastname@example.org – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!